• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Anyway...since the climb up from Hwy 16 (heading west) is much more big bike friendly, I was thinking that a ride coming up from the west side and then going down to the old raft launching point for a outdoor lunch (bring you own food, wilderness bathrooms) would be fun for the big bikes. The climb back out from the raft launch point is a bit steep but should not be too bad.

I found the reverse route through was harder. Although it was probably from me trying to keep up with the faster riders, smaller bikes. The final section going up to the crossroads had my bike going all over the place. :)

Once traffic starts going through everything will just clear up as rocks get pushed aside and ruts get filled in. Then people will wonder what our problems were.
 
Ladder106. I was the one on the dr650 at four way intersection that you said would take you to boat launch. I live in Dixon and usually get home from work about 1:00 or weekends. Would be happy to explore that area more and hear the sound your bike again.
 
I'll send you a PM to plan a day to go.

I'll probably take the DRZ400. It's my expedition bike and used when I'm not certain just what I'm getting into.
 
Had a great time and it was nice to see a lot of new and old faces. The trail was wrecked with little boulders, small avalanches, drainage crevices that made it very difficult to get through on a dualsport. Can't imagine how you guys did it on the big adventure bikes. :thumbup

See you guys on the next one :ride
 
Had a great time and it was nice to see a lot of new and old faces. The trail was wrecked with little boulders, small avalanches, drainage crevices that made it very difficult to get through on a dualsport. Can't imagine how you guys did it on the big adventure bikes. :thumbup

See you guys on the next one :ride

Certainly didn't look difficult for you guys. :p

I'm curious, did either of the two riders w/ helmet camera's capture any decent footage? I know BrianF stopped a few times to snap pictures.

Any comments from the BMW folks? I'm interested because (hopefully) my next bike will be a Triumph 800xc, but possibly a F800gs...so I'm interested in what they thought of the ride.

I do feel somewhat bad for scampering off from the bigger bikes, but I've only ridden in dirt a handful of times (5x?) and desperately need practice for the Sheetiron.
 
CWH is right, but I didn't take too many pics actually. I have a lot of videos, but they're long and need editing and I'm getting killed at work. All I have at the moment is the vid of me crashing like a jackass, and some shots of the WR. I'll bring my good camera next time.

http://youtu.be/IBvlAR9c_BM

IMG_4752_zpse3324ccd.jpg


IMG_4756_zps1c1f1c39.jpg


IMG_47572_zps8264887e.jpg
 
I do feel somewhat bad for scampering off from the bigger bikes, but I've only ridden in dirt a handful of times (5x?) and desperately need practice for the Sheetiron.
As so you should - I was quite upset and won't be riding with you again :cry:cry:cry just j/k :twofinger:twofinger

No worries Chris, I road sweep behind the big bikes thru Knoxville, and coordinated with both Scott and Ray when the BMWs were delayed on Rieff/Rayhouse, and they were the ones that went back and helped out and road with them to the end...I would have turned around myself, but yeah that road was beating up the big bikes...I just needed to get through it myself :wtf :(

Any comments from the BMW folks? I'm interested because (hopefully) my next bike will be a Triumph 800xc, but possibly a F800gs...so I'm interested in what they thought of the ride.
From what I understand, both the F800gs and one GS each took a tumble, and it was difficult for them; don't know about the other two riders.
If you're thinking about the F800gs, talk to revnort as that's what he rides :thumbup And look up Seavoyage's sticky "how much do they weigh?" to compare bikes.


T
 
Has Rayhouse deteriorated since this time last year? I guess it would, being unmaintained and with all the rain this season. It was pretty gnarly when I did it a year ago with one epic but entirely avoidable face plant.
 
Last edited:
Has Rayhouse deteriorated since this time last year? I guess it would, being unmaintained and with all the rain this season. It was pretty gnarly when I did it a year ago with one epic but entirely avoidable face plant.

I didn't see it last year, but the slope heading down from the gate has quite a bit of recent rock slide/avalanche debris on it. There are some large boulders in the road. I'm guessing once 4-wheel traffic starts down the road they'll be pushing the boulders out of the way.
 
The road is in steady decline and has been for the past 3 years since Yolo County "officially" abandoned it and ceased all maintenance.

It's still a fun ride on bikes up to 650 thumpers. Bigger bikes on street(ish) tires are a bit of a workout in the early season. Gotta know how to read the ruts and washouts.

Sad because early's the best time to go. Once it dries up it becomes pretty dusty and not much for scenery until you get down toward Cache Creek.
 
Any comments from the BMW folks? I'm interested because (hopefully) my next bike will be a Triumph 800xc, but possibly a F800gs...so I'm interested in what they thought of the ride.

I wasn't on this ride, but I love my F800GS. That said, I bought a WR250R some months later. The GS is great on the street, goaty pavement, fire roads, etc., but when it comes to difficult terrain, you really feel those extra 200lbs. I've taken it on Rieff rd several times, and didn't have any problems, but it was a lot more fun on the WR.

I recommend the F800 w/o reservations, just know what you're getting (e.g. not a street-legal dirt bike).
 
Has Rayhouse deteriorated since this time last year? I guess it would, being unmaintained and with all the rain this season. It was pretty gnarly when I did it a year ago with one epic but entirely avoidable face plant.

I didn't see it last year, but the slope heading down from the gate has quite a bit of recent rock slide/avalanche debris on it. There are some large boulders in the road. I'm guessing once 4-wheel traffic starts down the road they'll be pushing the boulders out of the way.


Nah, the terrain hasn't changed - boulders in the middle of the road, ruts, trees across the road, small rocks, gravel, slick mud, grassy downhills, landslides, etc. plus the occasional abandoned 4-wheeled vehicle.

The isolation and austere conditions provide a great opportunity to hone your ADVenture skills or give you and the bike a shakedown before the SheetIron or similar event.

The road is in steady decline and has been for the past 3 years since Yolo County "officially" abandoned it and ceased all maintenance.

It's still a fun ride on bikes up to 650 thumpers. Bigger bikes on street(ish) tires are a bit of a workout in the early season. Gotta know how to read the ruts and washouts.

Sad because early's the best time to go. Once it dries up it becomes pretty dusty and not much for scenery until you get down toward Cache Creek.

The March - May rides were the best, then it got hot and dusty.

The GS is great on the street, goaty pavement, fire roads, etc., but when it comes to difficult terrain, you really feel those extra 200lbs. I've taken it on Rieff rd several times, and didn't have any problems, but it was a lot more fun on the WR..

The experience of riding my Tiger uberbeast on Reiff rd was just a focused task of getting to the end of the route; riding a DR, KDX, GasGas, etc. was riding for fun!

As palada implies, many of the riders that have joined us on this ride have benefited from the 'education' ...
 
Last edited:
The experience of riding my Tiger uberbeast on Reiff rd was just a focused task of getting to the end of the route; riding a DR, KDX, GasGas, etc. was riding for fun!

I took my Tiger on it last year. My first dirt ride in several years and the first time on such a big bike. It was a ride that YES IS DEED I had to stay so totally focused. I was lost and all alone. But I made it without dumping it.
 
i just got savvy to these rides.... imma come crash yer partayz one of these days *soon!*; as i now gots me a 1991 DR350S, which, as everyone knows - is thee pinacle of dirtbike technology! :loco


:ride :ride :ride
 
i just got savvy to these rides.... imma come crash yer partayz one of these days *soon!*; as i now gots me a 1991 DR350S, which, as everyone knows - is thee pinacle of dirtbike technology! :loco


:ride :ride :ride

Make the next one. We can talk trash about our newly minted common enemy.
:twofinger
 
Myself and a couple other Sacramento-nians are doing this route on Friday. I'll post up conditions when I get back. Hopefully the jeep trails and Rayhouse Rd are washed out!! I love me some gnar.
 
so whos in for this weekend? i'm a "maybe" at this point... i'm riding all day saturday, and i gots some stuff 2 do on sunday, i might be able to move it... we'll see
 
Alternate ride to Frank Raines 4/14

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

Anyone want to ride to Frank Raines via Mines Rd this Sunday? undertheoaks and I are meeting up with a few friends to ride ubergnarly black diamond on our trials bikes.

It'll be a great opportunity to ride the DS and ADV bikes at Frank Raines; and watch the U.S, vs the World in Trials competition.

Suggest meetup point at Peet's Coffee 152 S Livermore Ave Livermore, CA 94550

Here's info on Frank Raines OHV park: http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_05763/ride_8790.htm

From our previous DS/ADV ride to Frank Raines: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397122&page=43

Route: http://goo.gl/maps/A0JMO to Frank Raines OHV! ($5 Entry at Ranger Station)

Don't want to get dirty? Here's the Mt. Ham Loop: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/836/California/Mount-Hamilton-Loop.html

Fuel: Patterson (17 miles East from OHV Park)

Overnight Camping Option
Trail Map: http://www.stancounty.com/ER/PARKS/pdf/frank-raines-ohv-trail-map.pdf

Mines%20Rd%20Map.tiff


Weather Forecast

3La3Ib3Ne5L75Na5G7d45555c15ace64e1d86.jpg
3E53Fb3N75N25Gb5E2d45f9d2874e247717be.jpg


Event Flyer: http://www.sactopits.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BACFlyer13.pdf.

[YOUTUBE]ugwpO-rVDYA[/YOUTUBE]​

The event is set up like the Scottish Six Day Trials (SSDT). Three 6-mile loops each with 10 special sections! Run under any weather conditions and will include riding in (not just across) the streams/creek beds.

Some participants are on vintage and regular dirt bikes.

Here's a video of the SSDT:


British American Cup [BAC]
April 13 & 14, Frank Raines OHV Park near Patterson, CA

Ever long for the old days of observed trials?
When the loops were long, and the sections were not quite so challenging?
This year, again, the BAC on Sunday is a return to yesteryear.

Saturday Signups at 11AM, Trial starts at Noon.

Sunday will have a loop of approximately 6 miles and 10+ sections.
Signups at 9AM, Trial starts at 10 AM.

GPS Coordinates 37.4232, -121.3809

Directions: From Hwy 5, take Diablo Grande Parkway/Sperry Ave Exit.
Go west on Diablo Grande Parkway, take right onto Del Puerto Canyon Road.
In 16 miles you will see the park entrance on your right.

Day use $5 per vehicle (regardless of how many dirt bikes you bring)
Camping available, both dry and with hook-ups.
No potable water, so bring liquids to drink.

POTLUCK dinner begins at 6:30 PM.
Bring your favorite British or American cuisine.

Old trials movies circa 1930-1940 and dart tournament, should be fun for all.

See www.sactopits.org and click on British American Trial for the Flyer.

Hope to see you there.

3Eb3L83H25I85Hf5M2d45d0836698f8911bd4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Knoxville/Rieff, Frank Raines, or wherever - I just want to ride! :ride
 
Back
Top