• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Come on, BanjoyBoy! I haven't seen your dirtbike in action yet, and I have a feeling that you would smoke me offroad, regardless of what type of bike I'm on.
 
Yes come on out Andy. I think I will be there, Still my ribs are a little sore but not to bad and I can still ride.
 
Woop dey it is Banjoboy! We iz callinz you ouuuut Pilot Powers and allz, anz whilze you at it round up The Hun will yaz? :party
 
Slab Queen Twisties

For those that refuse to get their Garage Queen dirty:
MrCleanPro.gif
Ride from Meetup point for 1 hour of twisties and break off when we hit the dirt with the other 'Mr. Clean' riders... Morgan Valley Rd. North (20-min.) to CA-29 (refuel and more twisties) from Lower Lake to Middletown, then Pope Valley (even more twisties) to back to Lake Berryessa, CA-128, CA-121, to Start point.​
[YOUTUBE]aLZl6R7JGCc&t=1m27s[/YOUTUBE]​

On a more serious quality note:
The Cornering Bible​
(with sub-titles translation)
[YOUTUBE]HWH_QiXw5n4[/YOUTUBE]​
 
Last edited:
I'm so glad you posted that, Drew. I would HATE to get my new little XT225 dirty. Maybe I'll just keep her on the pavement and meet you over near Cache Creek around 1pm. :teeth

I have a little bit of work to do on the XT to make sure it's road-worthy (it's an '05 with 200 miles on it), but I should be able to get it squared-away by Sunday morning. Looking forward to meeting up with everyone at *$ and playing in the twisties and dirt. I can't wait to see how well 7 year old knobbies perform on asphalt, with my fat ass on the tiny little bike. At a minimum, it should be entertaining for those following.
 
Now I have to bring my GoPro..... "video tape at 11:00"... :laughing
 
I can't wait to see how well 7 year old knobbies perform on asphalt, with my fat ass on the tiny little bike. At a minimum, it should be entertaining for those following.

If those tires aren't safe to ride, I might have something in my stash you could use.


[youtube]2DbN-hYxsgg[/youtube]
 
Hello all,

will be trailering the xt225 to the cross roads / cp1 . Hope to see you all and team up with the slower group as it's been many years
since I attacked the off road trails. Cheers.

Vijay
 
Last edited:
Chris, the tires don't seem too terrible. Thanks for the offer, though.

Vijay, I just picked up my XT225 yesterday, and have ridden about a block. Good Lord is that suspension mushy. Doesn't help that I'm a big boy, I suppose. Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday.
 
Bonerov,

Congrats on the xt ..

My 94 xt 225 has the air suspension setting in thr front so I set the air at the highest 15 psi and it's a lot better now on the street atleast ..

See you on Sunday at cp1 (crossroads 121/128)
 
I guess I'm in.
How worried should I be about a flat doing this on somewhat worned race sm tires?
 
Hello all, I received an invite last night and wondering if anyone else will be riding up from the Southbay.
 
Here she is, gang. Bone stock 2005 XT225 with a whopping 201 miles. Thanks for such a fair price on this little beast, Planegray! The suspension is mushy as hell, and I'm a fat bastard; good combo. :thumbup

2012-07-06_18-49-23_622.jpg
 
I'm in

Still have some tread left on the tires and I've been meaning to do this.
 
Flats?

I guess I'm in.
How worried should I be about a flat doing this on somewhat worned race sm tires?

Bump to 103_Moto, DukeD and the 'motards.

We've only had one flat occur in the history of this ride. palada's BMW F800GS on pavement returning home:
@ Bonerov: I have your can of fix-a-flat for when I see you next time. I appreciate the help! Embarrassingly enough, I found out my "tubeless" tires have tubes. Should have read the manual instead of the tire. :blush
Tubeless tyre and no plug kit. Bonerov tried a can of Fix-a-Flat, since we only had patch kits for tyre tubes. Unfortunately the puncture was too big; Easy fix if we had a plug kit for tubeless tyres.

[YOUTUBE]cthaDQTlcpo[/YOUTUBE]​

Lesson learned: Spend the $4 at the local Auto store for a Slime Tubless tyre plug kit; or if running tubes: a patch kit. Some of the guys bring $10 12V compressors (Slime Tire Top Off) Note: BMWs need an adaptor for the auxilliary powerlet. Any manual bicycle pump with a standard Schrader valve fitting will work; or a few CO2 cartridges.

Breaking the Bead (for Uberbeasts with tubeless tyres):
[YOUTUBE]uzgHVjXZwoM[/YOUTUBE]​

Other notes: Many of the riders 'air down' when they get to the dirt sections. ~15psi for DS (<300 lbs.); ~24 psi for ADV (>400 lbs.). Make sure you have rim locks if you run low tyre pressures. If you are running tubeless and you pop your tyre bead... you may be out of luck... stuff it with leaves and ride her out; or steal a 21" tube from the other riders.

...wondering if anyone else will be riding up from the Southbay.

Hook up with Blue-8. There are quite a few that ride up from San Jose/Mountain View.

Still have some tread left on the tires and I've been meaning to do this.
olhogrider runs ME33s on his Bonneville; and The Revenue Hunter may be on a FZ600 to challenge banjoboy FZ6 dirtbike.
attachment.php

Hey Guys- Thanks for waiting up for me :) I had an awesome time. Definitely a step above what I've ever done in my dirt experience (now totalling a whole three times in the dirt).
Thanks, Drew for helping me pick my beast back up on that hill and for organizing such a great ride. Next time I'll block the whole day and have some food so I can do the return leg on dirt too...
And Greg, I had an awesome time at lunch. We'll have to try that place again on a future ride.
-Kyle

Food?: Don't be surprised if many of the other riders don't stop for lunch...Plan to brown bag lunch or break off at Checkpoint 3 for Lower Lake or Checkpoint 4 for Cache Creek Casino.

Water?:
Hydrate or Die!
Lake Berryessa, Putah Creek, Hunter Creek, Capay Dam, and Cache Creek are water sources... if you have a water purifier.

Fuel Range?: Have a full fuel tank. 80 miles from Meetup point to next fuel stop; and if you don't refuel at Cache Creek Casino; it's a 150 mile round trip till you get fuel. Lesson Learned: Refuel at every opportunity. I've run dry on this ride with a 4.25 gallon Acerbis tank. Probably because I was running WOT for 2 hours! Back-up fuel source, any of the Marinas on Lake Berryessa at $5/gal.

ABS?: Know how to turn off your ABS (BMW, KTM)... or pull your ABS fuse (V-Stroms).
Supere Tenere: According to Yamaha: Set on centerstand, start engine, shift to 2nd gear, apply front brake... overides ABS.

ABS resets to default when you shut off ignition. Don't forget to turn off ABS every time you restart.

I also need to practice using my rear brake. Since BMW has the "integral ABS" where the brake power is automatically distributed by the ABS system, I NEVER use the foot brake but always the hand brake, so I definitely need to practice using both brakes in the dirt. Looking at the pictures the 2nd part would probably be a little on the steep side for my experience and equipment, so I'm glad I bailed out early.

Thomas - It was a pleasure riding with you. Your comment brings up a controversial but very important topic: ABS off-road

The recommendation to disable/turn-off your ABS system (and Traction Control) while riding off-road downhill is subject to debate. I'll defer the Pros vs. Cons to those that have experience on the subject.

BMW Article recommending ABS on: http://rider.bmwmotorrad.com.au/article.php?id=88
" The only situation that I feel most or all riders should turn off their ABS would be on very steep, loose surface descents. In this situation, the available traction is so low that it is inevitable that the rear wheel will start to skid if as the rider tries to control the speed. In this situation the ABS system may make a rider feel that they have less control."

Here are two ADVrider topic threads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451357 with comments on the BMW Off-Road School and RawHyde (quoted to recommend turning ABS off). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580662

Doc Wong's clinics recommend turning ABS off.

Here's the infamous video often shown to support the argument: Why you should turn off ABS in 'limited traction downhill' conditions:

[YOUTUBE]OrD65i3FUcU[/YOUTUBE]​

If you decide to turn-off your ABS, remember that every time you turn off the ignition, the default setting would enable the ABS system on start up.

And the procedure for BMW R1200GS?

Switch off ABS

  1. Stop the motorbike.
  2. Switch ignition off.
  3. Press ABS-button for at least 3 seconds, and then start the engine.
  4. Wait until the end of the self diagnostic test.
Result: ABS switched off, servos are in function, red ABS warnning light is on.

BMW-ABS2.jpg

Switch on ABS

  1. Stop the motorbike.
  2. Switch ignition off.
  3. Start engine.
  4. Wait until the end of the self diagnostic test.
Result: ABS switched on, servos are in function.

Notes for Suzuki V-Strom
Notes for Triumph Tiger
Notes for KTM 950/990
Notes for Yamaha Super Tenere
Notes for Ducati Multistrada
 
Last edited:
Nice looking bike. I dont know if I will be there. I am still sore. If I am there in the morning I will be there if not you all have fun and I will catch you all next time.

Here she is, gang. Bone stock 2005 XT225 with a whopping 201 miles. Thanks for such a fair price on this little beast, Planegray! The suspension is mushy as hell, and I'm a fat bastard; good combo. :thumbup

2012-07-06_18-49-23_622.jpg
 
Bike is in Motard mode and dirt rims still have crap non DOT tires.
Not going to make this...
Ride safe! Have fun! Ride again soon!
Aka Don't F-up and crash and break important stuff.
 
Hey Sasq, there are a bunch of us doing this ride on supermoto wheels. Just do it, it'll be fun.
 
The motard should do fine. If the big GS type bikes can make it, a motard should be fine.
 
Back
Top