• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Leo,

There are quite a few spots on which the 990 will be fine. Not knowing your skill level, it's hard to say whether or not some of the intermediates are doable for you. If you are at my level, I would say no way on a 990. I struggled with a few of them a couple of weeks ago in the dry on a TE450. The good news is that there are a ton of easy trails and the MX track could be fun at lower speeds. The mud will make it a bit dicey, but as long as you don't mind picking up your 990 a few times, I would say go for it.
 
I've never been to Carnegie before, but I'm thinking of paying a visit to play round on my 990. How long should I wait after the rains, or is it ok wet?

undertheoaks use to do both Carnegie and Frank Raines on his ADV 990. I use to ride to and in Carnegie on the Tiger, and I've done it in the drizzling rain

You'll be fine even in the wet, if you stay on the flat lands or Pottery Loop trail from the maintenance yard. You can also ride on the shoulder of the main road (15 mph limit) and play with the whoops, rocks, and sand washes. I don't recommend the MX track on a big bike, but definitely do the ATV track which is more like Vet MX. Here's a map: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1173

If the route can be done on ATVs, the ADV bikes will be fine. There's a open area by the hill climb area where you can practice your flat track skills. The flat rocky area West of the Maintenance Yard are great on the big bikes. There's a hill by the Mini MX track or East entrance which is great practice for steep ascents/descents. Not a lot of distance for a big bike so do Hare Scramble loops through Pottery Loop, the rock gardens and the ATV track.

[YOUTUBE]h7HQ5DpmCUw[/YOUTUBE]​

A route you may be interested is to take Marsh Creek Road out of Concord to Morgan Territory Road, then into Livermore and Corral Hollow road to the Carnegie SVRA. I would also highly recommend following Mines road to the Frank Raines OHV Park. Heres a link to those routes: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392820
 
Last edited:
You'll be fine even in the wet, if you stay on the flat lands or Pottery Loop trail from the maintenance yard

This is big, the top of the hill and back side is clay, and gets very very sticky and difficult in the rain. So if moisture is in the air, stay in the lowlands. Below is a picture of my 450 a few years back after I went up the hill in the rain...:thumbdown

Husky_Old_Clay.jpg
 
Hey Drew!

I've never been to Carnegie before, but I'm thinking of paying a visit to play round on my 990. How long should I wait after the rains, or is it ok wet?

Thanks

Leo

Hey Leo :thumbup Love to join you on the big bikes @ Carnegie...I've explored Metcalf and Hollister on the strom but not Carnegie so give me a shout when you're gonna be out there...course I can't ride at the moment as the bike is in the midst of electrical repairs :( but hope to have it sorted soon :teeth


T
 
Carnagie is a blast, plenty of area's to ride a big bike out there. If it rains give it a half day or so after it stops, traction on big bike stuff will be epic !! Give me a heads up when your going would love to lead a couple big bikea around out there..their all easy trails, just around the corner.:rofl
 
What kind of skills work do you do in your driveway. I live on a small court and could do some of that type work to help my balance / skill set. Guess I need to try and get out to Metcalf / Carnegie a bit. Terra Nova looks crazy, my skills need to improve a bit before I would come close to that level of riding :teeth

Been looking at the Berryessa ride, but Sundays are not a good day for me, wish they were on Saturday
Thanks for the info

Hey Gary, set up a couple lawn chairs, and a love seat sofa lay a couple 2X4's across them and ride up and over a couple times. Try not to use your feet or "Dab" yes it will leave some marks on the furniture but your skills will sharpen ! ooh and don't forget the divorce lawyers number.:rofl
 
Thanks for all the info. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that's exactly what I was concerned about. I remember taking my then-9year old to Metcalf one beautiful winter day years ago. The clay caked around his tires so much that he couldn't ride the bike at all. Sounds like Carnegie may have the same type of soil.

Hollister seems to be ok even when wet.

I like to ride the parks during the week. Fewer riders, easier to get there and back, etc. I'm usually off on Wednesdays, so that's what I'm shooting for. I was hoping for next week, but its supposed to rain. If the forecast changes I'll send out a note.

Leo
 
Hey Gary, set up a couple lawn chairs, and a love seat sofa lay a couple 2X4's across them and ride up and over a couple times. Try not to use your feet or "Dab" yes it will leave some marks on the furniture but your skills will sharpen ! ooh and don't forget the divorce lawyers number.:rofl

Maybe I could move in with you? We could ride on top of your couch :)
 
Anybody know if Rayhouse Rd gate is closed:wtf ? I know it is seasonal I'm just curious.
 
Not sure about the gate Sid, but I'll be in for Dec 9th but this time with dirt wheels. My poor sm wheels are crying for mercy :laughing
 
Closed gate on Reiff/Rayhouse Road ...?

IMG_1304.JPG

Yeah, we had to bunny-hop the locked gate again! :evil

Anybody know if Rayhouse Rd gate is closed:wtf ? I know it is seasonal I'm just curious.

Hi undertheoaks,

Looks like the gate is locked ...

From this thread on ADV rider:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20136269&postcount=50

Posted on ADV by Catfish, some cool pics of the area posted 11/28/12 ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
 
:thumbupBike is not plated but I'll show up to Knoxville area for sure and roost around the area a little.
 
One more option: There are a few of us who have decent sized fuel jugs. I would be willing to drive my truck to Knoxville and bring gas for folks so they didn't have to ride to South Lake to refuel. I could just drive in and park at the little camp spot that we pass before heading over the little bridge towards the North Exit.

Anyone interested? I have a 5 gallong can and at least one or two 1 gallon cans that I can bring along. If other folks bring cans to toss in my truck, I can just schlep them all up there and meet you guys. Just a thought....
 
My preference is to take the usual route/ride and just use the locked gate on Rayhouse Rd. as a turnaround point. That's still an OK ride. I'm not saying that I wouldn't do the ride to Carnegie as posted by Drew.
 
Switching over to the Carnegie ride :twofinger
 
Back
Top