• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Heal fast Greg, we'll see ya on the next round! Next time someone needs to figure out how to order up pizza and dancing girls from the casino while we wait. :boobies ...for Greg of course...to begin his healing process... :thumbup
 
Many many thanks to everyone on this ride for all the assistance rendered. As I told the EMTs, I had all the resources I needed to get me and my bike back home. Major kudos to Bruno for all he did for me. l owe you, man.
 
Glad you're (relatively) OK, Greg. Healing thoughts being sent your way. :thumbup
 
Glad you're (relatively) OK, Greg. Healing thoughts being sent your way. :thumbup

This x2, and also a big :thumbup to the people who helped Greg..
 
It was pretty hard convincing you not to ride home so staying was about the only way to ensure Bruno didn't make that long trip just for the extra scenery. ;)
 
Gate was open and had nothing to do with Greg's mishap.

We were heading east and about a mile or so away from Hwy 16. The part where you are heading downhill to Cache creek and you're back in the Oaks and it's fairly green again.

Greg riding downhill at 15 or 20. Got his front wheel in a very deep rut lined with square edged rocks on the bottom. Front wheel instantly turned left and Greg when over the highside toward the right. Similar to a highside on the track and he hit just as hard but caused by a rut.....so.....maybe we can say he was "Rutsided".

Got to Greg who had the bike on his left leg. Moved the bike and assessed him a bit. He had the wind knocked out of him so he was fish-breathing a bit and hurtin in the right shoulder and right chest wall. No serious chest injury.

I thought we were OK until he asked what happened.....we told him....then he asked again 2 minutes later. This repeated for 20 minutes or so and I began to get pretty concerned about concussion or worse. He beat up his helmet pretty good on the right side.

We old guys are a stubborn lot but we finally convinced Greg to ride back down the the camp ground on Hwy 16 on the big KTM that could handle a passenger.

Once at the campground, we're still about 2 hours away from any kind of significant medical care. And, head trauma can hide pretty well and get worse really fast so we got Capay FD and and paramedics from the Casino FD who did a complete assessment (much to Gregs displeasure). At this point Gregs head was working much better and his balance was beginning to come back but he was still in no shape to ride a 2 wheeled vehicle. He convince the paramedica that his faculties were good enough to not need treatment and we had a plan in place to get him and his bike home.

During this time Bruno volunteered to ride all the way back to Posers corner and get his truck. He loaded his bike and then drove all the way back to the Hwy 16 campground. We loaded Greg's bike and Bruno took him home.

So that's the saga. It took a while but it was the safest thing to do for all involved.

Greg...Apologies for what I know you considered an over-reaction and way too much attention but we were all making decisions in your best interest. Had things gone the other way we really and truly could have lost you before help or transport got there.

I know how you're felling today being in that spot myself a few times. I'm sure last night was a loooong night and hope you're more comfortable today.
 
Back to the infamous GATE.

It was open as stated ..... but ..... there was a guy in a jeep wagoneer or somesuch coming up the hill in that rock section just east of the gate. He stopped and waited for us to ride around him.... which was considerate.

As I was riding last, I waved and told him that there would be no more riders.

He just stared straight ahead and kinda scowled a bit.

So - I'm thinking he's a local, doesn't like motorcycles that much, and opened the gate for himself.

It's very likely that he locked the gate again after his exit so it's still "iffy" if you'll find it open or closed.
 
Ray,
Thanks for the info on what happened to Greg. Sounds like it could have been pretty bad. I'm so glad to hear that people jumped in to help and made sure he got home ok.
 
We're all in the same boat. God forbid anyone of us got in the same predicament, we'd wanted the same treatment and care. I know I would.
 
Ray...Thanks so much for all the crash info. I remember none of it. And thanks for making all the proper decisions for me. This is a clear example of why riding off-road as a group is essential. Again, many, many thanks to the group for all you did for me this past Sunday.
 
Gonna hit Knoxville OHV area tomorrow and explore new trails.
 
Ray,
Thanks for the info on what happened to Greg. Sounds like it could have been pretty bad. I'm so glad to hear that people jumped in to help and made sure he got home ok.

+1000. Great job everyone for looking after each other :thumbup

Greg - ouch! Heal up my friend...you should come join us on a future barf Stonyford trip - awesome single track in the forest and a lot less of the knarly ruts that you find on Reiff/Rayhouse...though I still managed a nice crash :teeth...but as long as you can limp back to camp you will be greeted by friends baring ice, alcohol, advil, and medical triage - what more could a rider want :teeth:thumbup:thumbup


T
 
In?

I have about 1/10 of a mile of dirt road experience on my KLR, so be gentile.
 
Back
Top