• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Knoxville waterfall ...?

57ee11fe270d44c2b90e58573f954d6b.jpg

Hi SeaVoyage,
I'll have fun looking for this waterfall in Knoxville OHV ... Have never seen nor heard of it ... I'll be up there Wednesday on my way to the Funduro in Deer Valley and Stonyford on Friday night for the Sheetiron ... :ride
See you around the campfire,
--SFMCjohn
 
Hi SeaVoyage,
I'll have fun looking for this waterfall in Knoxville OHV ... Have never seen nor heard of it ... I'll be up there Wednesday on my way to the Funduro in Deer Valley and Stonyford on Friday night for the Sheetiron ... :ride
See you around the campfire,
--SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn - From the Knoxville OHV southern entrance, follow Knoxville Devilshead Rd. to the top of the hill with sign to Lower Camp. From Lower Camp: "Look for an opening in at the back of the campground to find a motorcycle trail that follows the creek and leads to two great swimming holes (first hole is 1/4 miles in, waterfall is 1/4 miles past that)." Source: http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04327/ride_f168.htm Approximate location: 38.802625,-122.386172 http://g.co/maps/upnup ( N 38 48.157 W 122 23.170 ) I thing WGS84 Datum was used.

Any experience with following Jerusalem Grade westward from the Jeep Trail to Hidden Valley Lake off CA-29? ( Link to map )
 
Last edited:
Some picts, sorry no action shots.
At the top of Reiff Rd
DSCN8760.jpg

DSCN8758.jpg

Finding some shade at 0 Ton Bridge
DSCN8763.jpg

A couple of shots from the top of Knoxville on the return trip.
DSCN8772.jpg

DSCN8773.jpg

The beast that made it all happen!
DSCN8787.jpg
 
Greate Ride!

Slobo's bike did a 180 degree low-side in the water, stopping within 2-feet from dropping into the deep end of the creek

The name is Shlomi... and yeah, I was very lucky my bike didn't drown!

Amazing how the cylinder head guards on the GSA save the whole bike… nothing was broken or damaged.
Here are some of my pics:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4419_.jpg
    IMG_4419_.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4422_.jpg
    IMG_4422_.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4427_.jpg
    IMG_4427_.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4428_.jpg
    IMG_4428_.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4431_.jpg
    IMG_4431_.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 96
... and some more

:ride
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4440_.jpg
    IMG_4440_.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4444_.jpg
    IMG_4444_.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4449_.jpg
    IMG_4449_.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 94
Awesome pics guys looks like you had a good time, sorry I missed this awesome ride.
 
It was an awesome day with a great ride and I wanted to thank everyone to let me participate. This was my 1st time in the dirt with my heavy 1200GS, although I took a 2 day training at Metcalfe on a 200cc Honda with nobbies a while back. It was definitely a strange feeling with my Metzeler Tourance tires, would have prefered knobbies but they would just get worn on the road, but at least I did not drop the bike. I also need to practice using my rear brake. Since BMW has the "integral ABS" where the brake power is automatically distributed by the ABS system, I NEVER use the foot brake but always the hand brake, so I definitely need to practice using both brakes in the dirt. Looking at the pictures the 2nd part would probably be a little on the steep side for my experience and equipment, so I'm glad I bailed out early. That way I experienced Hwy 29 through Stevenson State Park. I did not even realize that CA still has stretches of such smooth road surface. I'm glad everybody made it home safe and I'm looking forward to meet you again in June. :)
 
June 10: I will FINALLY be able to make one of these rides! I think I'll make it a full weekend moto camping trip as well. Anyone interested in doing so is more than welcome to join me *cough* Seavoyage *cough*

See you guys on the 10th!
 
June 10: I will FINALLY be able to make one of these rides! I think I'll make it a full weekend moto camping trip as well. Anyone interested in doing so is more than welcome to join me *cough* Seavoyage *cough*

See you guys on the 10th!

Aaron - Awesome! How about you round up: revnort, luckett, SlowBlood, etc. Head out Saturday to camp out by the Knoxville Waterfall! Camping is Free.

We can link up Sunday around 10AM with the other riders as they get to Knoxville OHV (Checkpoint 2).

Also opportunity to run all the way up through Mendo NF via Rayhouse Rd. to Rd. 41 to CA-20 to Lodoga Rd. to Bartlett Springs Rd. to UpperLake back down CA-29: http://g.co/maps/2733k Maybe ride Mendo Saturday all day, early dinner in Lower Lake, and camp in Knoxville before sunset. Ride Knoxville all day Sunday.

[gmap]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_d&f=d&saddr=Bartlett+Springs+Rd,+Nice,+CA+95464&daddr=39.16893,-122.73697+to:twin+valley+rd+bartlett+springs+to:Wild+Bill+Place,+CA+to:Forest+Route+M10,+Lake,+CA+to:Forest+Route+M5,+Stonyford,+CA+to:Forest+Route+18N07,+Stonyford,+CA+to:stonyford+ca+to:Lodoga,+CA+to:Leesville+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:hwy+20+williams+to:Cortina+School+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:Sand+Creek+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:Rumsey,+CA+to:Cache+Creek+Casino+Resort,+Yolo,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FWTqVAIddBWu-CnTDHzP8pODgDFB2qneX3OTeA%3BFaKrVQIdti6v-Cnt8Oqmv-qDgDHNhrF3dKMe7A%3BFQEKVgIdN4qv-ClzwukH-sCDgDEqVJwG1VqBJQ%3BFW6dVgIdcISu-CkDv8mIOcGDgDGbQRB39_j4bw%3BFRvTVwIdR-St-CllYop6Rc-DgDHOFoI9HbIvoQ%3BFWkJVwIdIg2w-CkBE_vrI7-DgDH0nlH6HYUkYw%3BFQOXVwIdq2Kw-ClF9bmLBrmDgDH-ST91BdLL4A%3BFcHQWAIdXB6y-Clf1EKvybqDgDF5yIvzzRMVEg%3BFQ-OVwIdCSWz-Cmjw30DT6KDgDHoMtnQ38km1A%3BFdl2VQIdQOi0-Cn72CXLVp2DgDEmmiQhkYDkqA%3BFWIYVQId4Su2-Cmxdfl4cXCDgDGadwES_sq6IA%3BFZpUVAIdZUG4-CmLmPKZb52EgDGpg1IdjFE0ZA%3BFRfhUgIdw9u2-CnNMFl0noSEgDExDlurO9oK7Q%3BFShjUQId3c22-Ckv7Z8liYWEgDEpOClorOycQw%3BFagITwIdtDq4-CGjEkiWyyyDkA&aq=0&oq=cache+&sll=39.133005,-122.48864&sspn=0.892664,1.803131&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&via=1&ie=UTF8&ll=39.133256,-122.489319&spn=1.022636,1.757813&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?source=embed&f=d&saddr=Bartlett+Springs+Rd,+Nice,+CA+95464&daddr=39.16893,-122.73697+to:twin+valley+rd+bartlett+springs+to:Wild+Bill+Place,+CA+to:Forest+Route+M10,+Lake,+CA+to:Forest+Route+M5,+Stonyford,+CA+to:Forest+Route+18N07,+Stonyford,+CA+to:stonyford+ca+to:Lodoga,+CA+to:Leesville+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:hwy+20+williams+to:Cortina+School+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:Sand+Creek+Road,+Williams,+CA+to:Rumsey,+CA+to:Cache+Creek+Casino+Resort,+Yolo,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FWTqVAIddBWu-CnTDHzP8pODgDFB2qneX3OTeA%3BFaKrVQIdti6v-Cnt8Oqmv-qDgDHNhrF3dKMe7A%3BFQEKVgIdN4qv-ClzwukH-sCDgDEqVJwG1VqBJQ%3BFW6dVgIdcISu-CkDv8mIOcGDgDGbQRB39_j4bw%3BFRvTVwIdR-St-CllYop6Rc-DgDHOFoI9HbIvoQ%3BFWkJVwIdIg2w-CkBE_vrI7-DgDH0nlH6HYUkYw%3BFQOXVwIdq2Kw-ClF9bmLBrmDgDH-ST91BdLL4A%3BFcHQWAIdXB6y-Clf1EKvybqDgDF5yIvzzRMVEg%3BFQ-OVwIdCSWz-Cmjw30DT6KDgDHoMtnQ38km1A%3BFdl2VQIdQOi0-Cn72CXLVp2DgDEmmiQhkYDkqA%3BFWIYVQId4Su2-Cmxdfl4cXCDgDGadwES_sq6IA%3BFZpUVAIdZUG4-CmLmPKZb52EgDGpg1IdjFE0ZA%3BFRfhUgIdw9u2-CnNMFl0noSEgDExDlurO9oK7Q%3BFShjUQId3c22-Ckv7Z8liYWEgDEpOClorOycQw%3BFagITwIdtDq4-CGjEkiWyyyDkA&aq=0&oq=cache+&sll=39.133005,-122.48864&sspn=0.892664,1.803131&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&via=1&ie=UTF8&ll=39.133256,-122.489319&spn=1.022636,1.757813" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/gmap]​
See ride reports on: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399564

or explore Jerusalem Grade to get to Hidden Valley Lake/CA-29 from Knoxville OHV.
 
Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea! I'll shoot out some PMs and see if anyone is interested.
 
Funduro, Sheetiron, Eclipse ... ?

SFMCjohn - "Look for an opening in at the back of the campground to find a motorcycle trail that follows the creek and leads to two great swimming holes ... Any experience with following Jerusalem Grade westward from the Jeep Trail to Hidden Valley Lake off CA-29?

Hey seavoyage,

Thanks for the waterfall directions, I'm looking forward to taking a dip at Knoxvlle tomorrow!

I don't have any experience with Jerusalem Grade/Jeep Trail/Hidden Valley, other than having gotten the idea somewhere that you can only get in and out of Knoxville from the Knoxville-Berryessa Road ... would love to hear that I'm wrong about that, the way down to Hidden Valley/Hwy 29 looks like fun!

I'm off to Deer Valley tomorrow night (group camp by Lake Pillsbury) and Stonyford on Friday, Ft Bragg on Saturday, and hopefully Ruth Lake on Sunday night to see the eclipse ...

Want to see if I can find Sheetiron Mountain on Thursday or Friday, or maybe do the "Snow Mountain Loop" ... :ride

Hope to see some BARF Adventure Riders on the trail!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn

Here's a pic, just for fun; Bartlett Springs Road campfire & Barbie KLR:
indnrsvr.jpg
 
Knoxville OHV to Jerusalem Grade to Hidden Valley Lake?

Thanks for the waterfall directions, I'm looking forward to taking a dip at Knoxvlle tomorrow!

I don't have any experience with Jerusalem Grade/Jeep Trail/Hidden Valley, other than having gotten the idea somewhere that you can only get in and out of Knoxville from the Knoxville-Berryessa Road ... would love to hear that I'm wrong about that, the way down to Hidden Valley/Hwy 29 looks like fun!

SFMCjohn - Map reconnaissance shows:

Route 1: From Lower Camp AKA Hunting Creek Camp (N 38 48.521 W 122 22.500)
7194679510_358bd4e003_m.jpg
, find the waterfall (N 38 48.157 W 122 23.170). Satellite imagery and topographic map shows single track heading West for ~600 meters parallel to Hunting Creek northern bank to a clearing where you'll find the Jeep Trails (N 38 48.394 W 122 24.011) that connect to Jerusalem Grade.

Route 2: From Lower Camp, over the bridge crossing Hunting Creek, and heading to Upper Camp
7194677926_99629db9b7_m.jpg
, first left (N 38 48.914 W 122 23.241) head West till Jeep Trail ends (N 38 48.479 W 122 23.687). The Jeep Trail (N 38 48.394 W 122 24.011) that connect to Jerusalem Grade on the other side of the clearing is ~300 meters West across the clearing.

http://g.co/maps/ttjz6 Link to Satellite Imagery with overlay showing Waterfall and Lower Camp

Based on the BLM map you will be on BLM land from Lower Camp all the way to Jerusalem Grade AKA County Rd. 106, a Lake County Public Road.

Head South on the Jeep Trail, first right (West), then left on each fork on the Jeep Trail to Jerusalem Grade (paved road). Follow Jerusalem Grade per map to County Rd 122 (N 38 49.572 W 122 32.629) to Spruce Grove Rd. to CA-29 in Hidden Valley Lake. :thumbup

[gmap]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=38.81033,-122.55798+to:38.81185,-122.5571+to:Hidden+Valley+Lake,+CA&hl=en&sll=38.803965,-122.394948&sspn=0.020769,0.045447&geocode=FVcjUAIdI1K0-A%3BFdoyUAId5Omx-CllzxRoanCEgDH1Bhp8-oIvgg%3BFco4UAIdVO2x-Cl3kOK1a3CEgDFzA2ntoO3ojw%3BFZUpUAIdlOix-Cn1KajcDXCEgDHBunp49r36Tg&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&ll=38.809216,-122.379842&spn=0.020767,0.045447&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=38.81033,-122.55798+to:38.81185,-122.5571+to:Hidden+Valley+Lake,+CA&hl=en&sll=38.803965,-122.394948&sspn=0.020769,0.045447&geocode=FVcjUAIdI1K0-A%3BFdoyUAId5Omx-CllzxRoanCEgDH1Bhp8-oIvgg%3BFco4UAIdVO2x-Cl3kOK1a3CEgDFzA2ntoO3ojw%3BFZUpUAIdlOix-Cn1KajcDXCEgDHBunp49r36Tg&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&ll=38.809216,-122.379842&spn=0.020767,0.045447&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small> [/gmap]​
 
Last edited:
This Jerusalem Grade bit is interesting. I want to check it out at some point but I don't think I'll be able to get out there till the first weekend of June :x
 
Which bike are you bringing, Drew? I *might* have a trail bike by then, but it's a green sticker bike. Would I be better off trucking the dirt bike up there or just riding my wee strom?
 
Don't know if I'll be able to make this one with finals coming up the week after. I think I am going to raise the DRZ back up to stock height and work with the suspension on Saturday and go explore Knoxville this Sunday. See what all this Jerusalem Grade mumbo jumbo is about...
 
Here's some footage from the first dirt section. I'll post some more stuff if my editing software keeps working.

[youtube]jcmjqOCfc8c[/youtube]
(I was really tired and I'm still sorta a newbie, so I'm kinda slow in the vid)

I'm interested in trying some motorcycle camping out there, and if my schedule is clear enough I'd be up for doing something like what you all are discussing...

Nice clip. Not a good place for two suv's to meet, between 9 and 10 min into the video.
 
Hello. Just got a tiger steamer 900. Not used to it yet. Many years on older bikes and in dirt so I think I would like to join you all.
 
I'm in for this one. (Thanks for the PM invite)

Extremely limited dirt experience. Big bike. Recipe for failure. Everybody bring cameras :)

Anyone else riding up from Fremont area for this?

-Kyle
 
I'm working on a kitchen pass for this Sunday (20 year anniversary on the 12th).

I will be trucking form Santa Clara to the *$.
 
Back
Top