• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

I may get a kitchen pass for a Sunday ride at Carnegie. Details? Anyone else? I'm not so sure about 7am on a Sunday though... (no kids :teeth)

I have kids and I am not getting going that early. Lulz.
Maybe we can set up a lazy a$$ meetup time at skips.
 
I'll look for you Sunday, it would be fun to watch some trials magic. :)

And yes, 7am is very early for me (my kids sleep until 8am on weekends). Since we have to be back early afternoon we wanted to get an early start & leave SF at 7:30am.

I'll watch for others when we're there. I'll be on a white DR650, with silver helmet/pants & black coat or blue Thor jersey. Troy (the guy I'll be with) has a wr250r.

I'd like to try some more challenging loops than what we've done in the past, so it would be nice to hook up with people more familiar with the park. I would prefer to have challenging loops that don't have the zero margin of error (like falling off the cliff or hillside). :)

@ Paul and Chris: I'll be in the trials area or on a black diamond on Sunday morning. Track me down and I'll let you try one of my trials bikes. Warning: you'll convert
 
Part 4 - Last Sunday's Ride...

It was a blast...in more ways that one!
Dang, is it a little windy out here or what? :twofinger


Mercy, it's taken all week to get these snaps n scraps posted up, but it's been fun re-living last Sunday, and has def got me itchin to check out some more trails with some of you pro's. I'll be the one wobbling along with a leg stuck out for balance on the corners--laugh all you want at my noob-style but I'm havin' a ball doing it!

OK, OK I w-i-l-l work on my technique, I got a book and am studying other ways to get around a fulla-loose-stuff turn without using the outrigger leg approach...

The ride out really seemed short and sweet compared to the ride in. We came back down off the hills, crossed the river at this Cache Creek bridge [dig your cool "crossing pic" up there -- looks all 'freshmaker'!] and headed for our final shady offroad rest spot.
537420_321450667983037_2073882892_n.jpg



The posse wisely convening in the shade for the airing up procedure. Noob bike is way up the road, had to look for a less-sandy location, ya know. Ahem, and an area where no domino-action upon other bikers might accidentally transpire. :teeth
10891_321450677983036_989321557_n.jpg



Had to take a quick time out to grab a shot of the yellow lupine, I don't see much of this around...unusual but not scarce, maybe the blue just stands out more.
59242_322811861180251_1051065594_n.jpg



Woo-hoo, we had survived and ARRIVED! You guys were all my heroes today, it really felt like a team effort. :)
483493_321450727983031_942293559_n.jpg



What a sweet sandy beach right by the bridge -- just in case anyone wanted to take a dip. We didn't really have time for that today but it sure looked tempting to me.
563695_321450634649707_219635849_n.jpg



Apparently rafters put in here at this lovely sandy spot--fabulous, baby!
Another snap of us airing up and preparing to hit the pavement for the last legs of our trip. (Thanks Ray for the air services!)
604169_321450651316372_521582719_n.jpg



There were a few hikers near this section of the trail...well yes that's because it's an actual "park" complete with marked trails, a parking lot and the works. Cache Creek Regional Park.
547577_321450691316368_172915306_n.jpg



My tall girl taking her last longing look at the dirt...gonna hafta wait til next weekend before we see grit like that again. Rayhouse Rd -- I'm gonna miss you!
But hey, if Carnegie's on the menu...let the Practice In The Dirt Part 2 commence --- yesssss!
68515_321450624649708_1111151858_n.jpg



We skeetered on up to the parking lot, then headed north on 16, rode the pretty sweepers west on 20 through some burnt-to-a-crisp-last-summer zones and over flower-swathed hills and lush green dales, then south on 53 to Lower Lake.

There, we gassed up and raided the convenience sto' (didn't this call for ice cream?) then headed back west for one more romp down Knoxville-Berryessa, just to see it from the OTHER direction. (Pssst...it's awesome both ways!) The several water crossings were shallow, unslimey, and uneventful, save for this one little turtle we scared up, the little guys was paddling wildly at his fastest go-little-turtle pace to get out of our splashing way...and yes I think his story ended happily.

From there we headed back on the usual routes, enhanced this day with lots and lots of wildly blustery conditions.

Can't recall riding in that much wind --evarrr-- all sorts of debris was flying out of the trees along Lake Berryessa but ya know, maybe we actually got home a lil cleaner -- some of that nice red dirt surely got blown right off our happy buns!

No lie!
:teeth
 
Carnegie on Sunday

Okay I'm planning on being out there 9ish - silver helmet, gray vstrom w black duffel on the back...will look for folks around mad750's silver explorer, else you will find me on the fire roads...stop and say hi...I've yet to see another vstrom out there :( :twofinger


T
 
I might get back out there again. Maybe if Nicki is out there I will give it a shot. I am new to the dirt on a huge bike like my Tiger. I ran old Yamaha XS 650s in the dirt before but this Tiger is not the same. Only way to build up experience is to go and do it with someone there to assist if needed.
 
Yay, come on out you guys, looking fwd to it.
What exactly...im not sure...it'll be fun tho, that parts required. :thumbup
 
I saw the Barf group heading up the hill today. Couldn't get with you guys as we were in search of a bag that fell off mid ride. How'd I know it was you??? Titus on that 1000cc beast is something you just can't miss!

Next time guys. Hope you all had a great ride.
 
I saw the Barf group heading up the hill today. Couldn't get with you guys as we were in search of a bag that fell off mid ride. How'd I know it was you??? Titus on that 1000cc beast is something you just can't miss!

Next time guys. Hope you all had a great ride.

I'm assuming the group you're talking about was me, Titus, Eldrich, MAD750 & my friend Troy (non barf'er). Sorry this was a bit uncoordinated, the Second Sunday rides are better in that respect. I was glad to see Titus & Eldrich.

I'll remember this day as the day I fell down...a lot (5x!). MAD750 went up a few ascents that were looser & steeper than I've been on. :)

I've got to learn how to go up steep hills with loose surfaces. I'm a bit too tentative, loose momentum...then fall over.

I've only been to Carnegie since last November and the surface has changed a lot. Some of the nice smooth trails we've done before have become heavily pot-holed and stair steppy - Red Tail trail had a few of the staircase type sections.

The Ridge Trail (second entrance which doesn't have the steep downhill bit) had ridiculous pot holes that were spaced at exactly bike length distance so your front & rear tires went into them at the same time - making it somewhat hard to control while your bike did an awkward bouncing dance.
 
The soil was very loose yesterday, for sure. The lack of rain has not been kind to Carnegie, that being said it made things alot more interesting on a 500lb bike sans knobbies. :rofl I really do need to get my hands on a knobby knife.

Tim and I swung by later in the day but I guess you guys were already gone. Sounds like you had alot of fun!
 
CWH - OMG someone else on a DR650 fell down 5x too!
Not that I was vying for the trophy, but now that I know we've tied :)
...I feel better already!
Maybe we could compete for style next time, Sharky noted my flying leap over the bars was entertaining or something along those lines, maybe add a flip or a twist...go all out? Ha!

That pig sure gets heavier as the day goes by...LOL.

"When pigs fly" whoever coined that phrase did not know that, well, guess what -- they already do!

gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg
 
CWH - OMG someone else on a DR650 fell down 5x too!
Not that I was vying for the trophy, but now that I know we've tied :)
...I feel better already!
Maybe we could compete for style next time, Sharky noted my flying leap over the bars was entertaining or something along those lines, maybe add a flip or a twist...go all out? Ha!

That pig sure gets heavier as the day goes by...LOL.

"When pigs fly" whoever coined that phrase did not know that, well, guess what -- they already do!

gk324_flying-pig-rgb-final_lr_web.jpg

You know when you have a good crash whe. The bottoms of your boots can be seen by your buddies!
:thumbsup
 
Yay, come on out you guys, looking fwd to it.
What exactly...im not sure...it'll be fun tho, that parts required. :thumbup
Damn...missed you again NDL :twofinger...we gots to gets together and ride soon...Saw ur other post, glad you got ur bag back...yeah bungie cords and even straps are not to be depended on when riding on the dirt...check out my custom mounting of my duffle bag in the pic below...:thumbup

I saw the Barf group heading up the hill today. Couldn't get with you guys as we were in search of a bag that fell off mid ride. How'd I know it was you??? Titus on that 1000cc beast is something you just can't miss!

Next time guys. Hope you all had a great ride.
Hey Sharky - bummed we missed ya...next time for sure :)...was a good day for practice for the sheetiron :thumbup...yeah the big vstrom is hard to miss...I get both compliments and "WTF you are nuts!" the deeper I venture into Carnegie :twofinger

I'm assuming the group you're talking about was me, Titus, Eldrich, MAD750 & my friend Troy (non barf'er). Sorry this was a bit uncoordinated, the Second Sunday rides are better in that respect. I was glad to see Titus & Eldrich.

I'll remember this day as the day I fell down...a lot (5x!). MAD750 went up a few ascents that were looser & steeper than I've been on. :)

I've got to learn how to go up steep hills with loose surfaces. I'm a bit too tentative, loose momentum...then fall over.

I've only been to Carnegie since last November and the surface has changed a lot. Some of the nice smooth trails we've done before have become heavily pot-holed and stair steppy - Red Tail trail had a few of the staircase type sections.
Hey Chris - good to ride w u as always - kudos for doing those single tracks on your DR...notice I DID NOT FOLLOW you down that trail :twofinger you said it...conditions were v. challenging yesterday...something we also discovered on Rieff/rayhouse...weather or lack there of and time can significantly change trail conditions...this did not necessarily occur to me when I started riding dirt last summer :teeth

And yeah, pretty unorganized this time but also not normal for us 2nd sunday folk...will be better next time :thumbup

The soil was very loose yesterday, for sure. The lack of rain has not been kind to Carnegie, that being said it made things alot more interesting on a 500lb bike sans knobbies. :rofl I really do need to get my hands on a knobby knife.

Tim and I swung by later in the day but I guess you guys were already gone. Sounds like you had alot of fun!
Good riding with you Eldrick :thumbup :teeth I really like that loop we setup for the big bikes - Pottery loop to Franscian Loop to Juniper and back to the start...that's going to be my go to for carnegie on the vstrom :ride

Damn...can't get my few pics to post...will try again later.

It was just a beautiful day at carnegie...light breeze made for perfect temps and not that crowded. But as already noted, very loose conditions since no rain for months. This made the abundant steepness @ Carnegie very slippery.

How slippery you say? Coming down Franciscan loop from the very top, you go through a steep rocky straight then sharp L then sharp R, the second two legs very short...Eldrick washes out his rear tire in the last R turn and gently lays down the KTM...I'm able to stop above the turn, and we both walk towards the bike and discover we cannot walk...it's like standing on a hill of marbles or walking on ice...doesn't look slippery at all but it takes us minutes of slipping and sliding and landing multiple times on our arses to get to the bike, and even longer to get it carefully upright and move it down five feet to where he can ride it off....woulda loved a video of us...reminded me of silly saturday morning cartoons or the three stooges :twofinger...and on our next loop thru he was perfect in the corner and I'm too close and now sliding my rear trying not to hit him and keep it rightside up...lots of pucker moments...:twofinger...fun times :thumbup


T
 
A few pics. LOL someday I will remember to take by camera out while I'm on the trail...:twofinger

IMG_0434.JPG

Vstrom with custom home-made mount for soft duffel; built a sheet metal base-pan into bottom of duffel that uses the mounting plate for my hard case, so I can use either with same mount. Need soft for the dirt...learned the hard way in crash...busted the topcase right off and watched it bounce down the trail...:teeth :wtf:mad

IMG_0435.JPG

Just a beautiful day at carnegie...other than then the loose/soft dirt.:twofinger

IMG_0433.JPG

Airing up for the ride home...did not get too warm until AFTER we got out of Libmo...:thumbup

IMG_0436.JPG

Self portrait. Should be grinning moar...great day on the dirt :thumbup :ride


T
 
Titus,
That Strom sure has been through a lot...
 
Dang Tim your bike is quite a rig, that thing's a mountain monster! With a big ole trunk and booty beads to boot...LOL...extra skills getting that superbeast up from a slidey slope...much respect -- big guy!
 
Seavoyage and undertheoaks where have you been?

Off the deep end pursuing a different adventure on the fringe where Aprilia/ATK/BMW/Ducati/Honda/Husaberg/Husqvarna/Kawasaki/KTM/Suzuki/Triumph/Yamaha and seats don't exist...

Yes we ride in T-shirts and tank-tops in the summer

DSCN0464-M.jpg


Trials are so much fun and humbling at the same time, think you can ride....try trials and think again.:squid

Awesome ride today out in Marin County !!! Good practice and outstanding fun, I continue to fall in love with Trials !!

DSCN0423-M.jpg

DSCN0427-M.jpg

DSCN0448-M.jpg

DSCN0472-M.jpg

DSCN0440-M.jpg

DSCN0422-M.jpg

DSCN0443-M.jpg

DSCN0449-M.jpg

DSCN0462-M.jpg
 
Last edited:
Seavoyage! You were in my back yard :x

Looks stunning!
 
Crud! I've been buried under so much work lately :(

Note that the Hornet IS for sale :(
 
Looks like an awesome event, Drew. If I had been around this weekend, I would definitely have gone with you. On a side note, I did rip through SF on the two-smoker with the 17" wheels on it this evening. :laughing
 
Back
Top