• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Knoxville was quite hot today: 97 F by 10:30am. Saw Star_Man leading a pack of 8 riders with Excite_Bike riding sweep into Knoxville. Star_Man must have made a U-turn at the Knoxville entrance, as he passed me about 1-hour later near Turtle Rock.

If you ever get the chance, follow the trail West from Lower Camp to the waterfall at the swim hole and take a dip. Lots of fun yesterday and this morning riding trials bike over the large rocks and logs in lower camp, along the creek bed, on the wide easy single track to and at the swim hole.

57ee11fe270d44c2b90e58573f954d6b.jpg

If you're having trouble finding the swim hole: go directly west through the gap in the ARMCO barrier on the west side of Lower Camp (opposite side from the entrance trail and restroom). The trail immediately forks. Do not take the trail heading downhill to the creek. Take the trail heading uphill (West) which parallels the creek. The trail is 2 handlebars wide and is passable on a quad. It dead ends at the swimming hole (N 38 48.157 W 122 23.170) 200 yards west of Lower Camp.
 
Last edited:
Drew....where were you? I led the group to 121/128 and then fell to the back of the group looking for my buddy Terry. I never did see him again. Then Tim and I swept the group until the bridge when Tim must have pulled in (for a bio break?). Never did see him again. The group pulled over a few miles further down the road. I continued to Knoxville OHV. I looked for you at Lower Camp... figuring that's where you must have camped. Didn't see you. I did a lap thru Knoxville and waited for the group to reform at the northern staging area. Never did see the group again. ????? It was starting to get HOT and I was running out of time. I hope everyone got home safely.
 
We camped out overnight. By 10am it was getting pretty warm and the natives were getting restless, so I loaded both bikes onto the truck and headed out.

Greg - Saw you coming the other way about 1/4 mile before the Knoxville OHV entrance; then again about noon as you passed me just before Turtle Rock. I couldn't catch you on your two-fiddy Green Monster! even with my V8 muscle :rofl The 'Wolf Pack' was right behind you heading to Knoxville. I may have seen Tim if he's changed his outfit for the 2013 Summer Season - Red? Bill was in his usual black leather on his blacked out DRZ and

you're the only Belstaff Yellow fashion guy I know that drinks the Chang kool-aid
ChangBeer_Foreground22-300x127.jpg


Saturday was a good time chaperoning my daughter and her friends: Took them to the 'bridge' for some cliff diving, then to Knoxville. Mostly rode trials around Lower Camp, and taught my daughters friends how to ride. Wasted a few boxes of ammo. Tried some night riding at 1am - now that's interesting on the Knoxville trails - it was in the 50's last night.
 
Last edited:
So that was you splashing thru the last little water crossing on Knoxville/Berryessa Rd at the same time I was going the other way. We didn't miss each other by much. YIKES!

Yes, Tim was wearing a different riding outfit. Red with blue boots!

FYI, the Chang beer decals came with the little Kawi. I'm waiting to borrow a hair dryer to remove them. Since they make me so instantly identifiable, I may just keep them on. :)))
 
Great ride today! Plan on seeing my goofy face at any event that involves dirt and motorcycles. And maybe beer and food, but not at the same time.

-Landon

975970_619821791363872_570337085_o.jpg
 
HeyGreg - some how we missed ya :(- I met up w the group at the south entrance to Knoxville and we looked for you as we did our dirt loop...spooked a deer right before reaching the north entrance / meet point...deer was on the jeep trail getting shade from a lone tree, seemed pissed we were invading his respite :twofinger...was indeed warm out there today, though the afternoon breeze made it nice when you were moving.

Drew we looked for you, yeah that was me in the red dirt gear:teeth, sounds like you guys were headed out as we were heading in.

Good group today...number of new folks to the 2nd Sunday ride and moar big bikes for once, so I wasn't lonely and always bringing up the rear on my vstrom:teeth

We continued on to Rieff and Rayhouse, challenging as always and a couple of spills including yours truly, but good news is the difficult downhill middle section has finally gotten packed down somewhat, so while difficult its not the relentless never-ending shit of before :twofinger

Great riding :thumbup with Morten, Raymond, Bill, Landon, Roman, Marc, and Chris? and everyone else whose names I've forgotten. Thanks Bill for riding sweep, good decision Marc to head back when Rieff started getting gnarly being as you don't have a skid plate yet, Great job Raymond on the S10 with non-dirt tires, and welcome Landon to the sf bay area and dirty barfing-was nice of you to lend your lighter to the gal in the raft so they could get their joint lit before shoving off downstream :thumbup:twofinger

Hopefully some of you guys can post picks, as I took nada today, and I hope nobody got any performance awards the ride home...saw lots of LE presence on my way back but thankfully no awards.


T
 
Good ride today, too bad I had to bail early. Even worse is that it was a false alarm. I stopped at the bridge lot and found it out. Decided to hit Pope Valley and head out to Buster's BBQ in Calistoga.
1069366_10201089042495680_654945293_n.jpg


Next time I'll finish the ride
 
The ride today was awesome, definitely a good group. This was my first real long distance trip on the 650 and it met all my expectations. Looking forward to doing this again and hopefully I'll have a skid plate next time.
 
Thanks guys for a great ride - I look forward to the next. Two minor get-offs, but we learn from our mistakes. I only took three pics, one is blurry; sorry Tim. I clearly need more time in the saddle, my legs feel like rubber bands.

No awards on the trip home, but it was great feeling the air temp drop 30deg as I crossed the Vallejo bridge. Whew! I needed that! :Port
 
Yeah great day all. Tim thank you for leading the way in the dirt! Made it home safe. Now hopefully BMW can fix my leaking final drive quickly ... ;)
 
Great shots Bill; I wish I had the presence of mind to take more. Thanks again for running sweep.
 
For safety reasons, I don't usually ride the dirt by myself. I did on this ride. It was eye-opening. Knoxville OHV (should be called Rocksville OHV) is not considered all that challenging. Still, with it's many rock gardens and water bars and ruts, it requires your attention.

I've always wondered why I suck so much on the dirt and do OK on the tarmac. This past Sunday and without the distraction of a group of riders all around me, I was able to really concentrate on what I was doing and what the bike was doing. Then it hit me... the front wheel was dancing all over the rocky surface and that was upsetting me. Being mainly a road rider, I was used to the front tire assuring me that it was firmly planted on the asphalt. Any other signal from the front end was a sign that trouble was ahead.

Now, I don't fall often because I've learned how to survive on the dirt (too many trips to Baja where you're on your own and far from any kind of help). But I don't have as much fun as I'd like to have. I'm too cautious and too careful. That gets me through safely but I probably don't look like I'm having a good time. For example, I spent most of my time at Knoxville grinding it out in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. And, I worked up quite a sweat doing it.

My GF said I should sell the little Kawi and give up dirt riding. I'm not ready to do that. I do enjoy the challenge and the thrill of it all. However the risks of hitting the ground are still there... and I don't bounce as well as I used to. I may be over-thinking this. Ideas????
 
My GF said I should sell the little Kawi and give up dirt riding. I'm not ready to do that. I do enjoy the challenge and the thrill of it all. However the risks of hitting the ground are still there... and I don't bounce as well as I used to. I may be over-thinking this. Ideas????

Spend time at Carnegie/Metcalf/Hollister to gain confidence.
 
For safety reasons, I don't usually ride the dirt by myself. I did on this ride. It was eye-opening. Knoxville OHV (should be called Rocksville OHV) is not considered all that challenging. Still, with it's many rock gardens and water bars and ruts, it requires your attention.

I've always wondered why I suck so much on the dirt and do OK on the tarmac. This past Sunday and without the distraction of a group of riders all around me, I was able to really concentrate on what I was doing and what the bike was doing. Then it hit me... the front wheel was dancing all over the rocky surface and that was upsetting me. Being mainly a road rider, I was used to the front tire assuring me that it was firmly planted on the asphalt. Any other signal from the front end was a sign that trouble was ahead.

Now, I don't fall often because I've learned how to survive on the dirt (too many trips to Baja where you're on your own and far from any kind of help). But I don't have as much fun as I'd like to have. I'm too cautious and too careful. That gets me through safely but I probably don't look like I'm having a good time. For example, I spent most of my time at Knoxville grinding it out in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. And, I worked up quite a sweat doing it.

My GF said I should sell the little Kawi and give up dirt riding. I'm not ready to do that. I do enjoy the challenge and the thrill of it all. However the risks of hitting the ground are still there... and I don't bounce as well as I used to. I may be over-thinking this. Ideas????

Starman, I'm no expert dirt rider and I'm sure others will chime in with good advice but what prompted me to write is your description of that's going on with your bike and in your mind when you're in the dirt is the same thing that goes through my mind as I'm riding dirt. People have told me to loosen my grip on the bars and let the bike and suspension do it's thing. You'll be amazed at what the front wheel will roll over without toppling the bike over. Another good piece of advice I've been given is to go faster over the bumps, you'll feel them less and the bike will start to skim over them as opposed to going into them and deflecting every single bump. Throttle over obstacles instead of braking for them, you'll find the bike likes it better and so will you.
I know this is hard to do when your brain is saying slow down but a lot of riding fast is mental as you know from street riding. You had to train your brain to enter corners faster and to brake later, samething with the the dirt, train your brain to go a little faster over bumps and the bike will float over them which will make your brain say "hey, I didn't feel that bump so much" then you can do it somemore :thumbup
 
Great advice, Dean. I am working hard on staying loose and letting the bike dance around underneath me. I just need more saddle time, I think.

If that fails, I might try staying at a Holiday Inn Express or something. Can't hurt, right?
 
Yoooohh Lunch Box Aaron! How's my 250 doing? :laughing Have you been riding Knoxville these past few months?
 
Yoooohh Lunch Box Aaron! How's my 250 doing? :laughing Have you been riding Knoxville these past few months?

Howdy, sir! MY 250 smoker is doing great. Haven't had much time to ride lately, but did get out to Carnegie with Drew and his kiddo a couple weeks ago. I've got it partially torn-down now while I wait for a piston/rings/etc. to arrive. :thumbup

I haven't made it to a Knoxville ride in forever. I'll get out there some time soon. Maybe August....
 
DukeD, you speak the gospel truth! And Lunch Box is right about loosening the grip on the handlebars and letting the bike move beneath me. I remind myself before each dirt ride to do all these things. Then I hit the dirt and all that theory gets tossed and I go right back to my safe and well developed bad habits.....:mad

I'm going to have to reread what Keith Code has to say about "survival reactions". I know he's writing about road riding/racing. But, I think it also applies to dirt bike riding as well.

Like DukeD wrote, I've got to retrain my brain....:thumbup :ride .... not an easy task when you're old and set in your ways...:laughing
 
Back
Top