• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Looks like they may have added another post or two near the gate. I'll have to get back out there to see if that is the case. It's been awhile....
 
The gate doesn't seem to be open all that often. Not a big deal, as it is easy enough to bypass (unless they changed something recently).
 
With my quick research, it's closed due to road condition liability and lack of maintence. The gate is easy enough to get around, so "poor" conditions make it all worth it! That road would be a bore after its freshly grated.
 
"Yolo" is still my favorite county name in CA. I envision it full of crazy young'uns going balls-out 24/7. :laughing
 
Bummer that some folks turned around at the gate. It's easy for even the big bikes to go around on the downhill side, though it is much more fun on the uphill side :)

Hey Lunch Box,

Having trouble visualizing the "downhill side" ... seems like the gate is at the top, so either way you approach it would be uphill ... :dunno

By downhill do you mean the Berryessa side where the gate bypass seems to plunge downhill before a 180 deg turn back up to the Cache Creek side?

Half the time I use that road I'm coming from Cache Creek, which seems pretty uphill to me ...

I've never tried it by myself with a overloaded-for-camping KLR ...
is that a "big bike" or a forget-it huge bike ...?

Last time I was up there I'd have been tempted to try the rocks on the RHS of the gate heading towards Cache Creek ... at least the bike would fall towards the road ... :cool

Anyway, none of it looks easy to me, I just turn around 'til
they open the gate ...:laughing

Interested in the feedback of my betters ... :teeth
 
Last edited:
The gate we were talking about is on a slight decline coming from Morgan Valley Road. The hard/dangerous part is the uphill portion going around the gate. It seems coming from Cache Creek, getting around the gate would be easier.

You can see it in my video about last sunday's ride.
 
The gate we were talking about is on a slight decline coming from Morgan Valley Road. The hard/dangerous part is the uphill portion going around the gate. It seems coming from Cache Creek, getting around the gate would be easier.

You can see it in my video about last sunday's ride.

Yeah, there's only one gate they lock seasonally at the county border ... It's all uphill to get there either way, and the bypass is all downhill and uphill to the left if you come from Knoxville ...

So, here's the question, RCB ... can you do that bypass by yourself on your loaded BMW 800 GS? :ride

I've been hearing better riders than me recently saying its "easy" ...
I'm not picturing it ... :laughing

I suspect we just have different ideas about what "easy" means ... :ride

Off to check out your vid, thanks for posting it! :thumbup

PS: OK saw 1962siia88 crash, ouch ... no gate ...

PPS: OK saw it, you are a bad-ass on the 800! :thumbup
Don't think I could get my KLR out of there by myself if I put a tire wrong where the spotters were, so not easy in my book ... :teeth :party :ride
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't try it by myself. But with at least one person, I would.

Well, so there you go ... if I wouldn't do it by myself, it isn't easy ... Meaning I'd have trouble/couldn't get the bike back on the trail myself
if
things
went
wrong ...
:laughing
:party

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
 
Last edited:
Well, so there you go ... if I wouldn't do it by myself, it isn't easy ... Meaning I'd have trouble/couldn't get the bike back on the trail myself
if
things
went
wrong ...
:laughing
:party

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn


I haven't been up there in about two years, but judging by the pictures it's developed into a pretty big path around it. Still not sure I'd do it by myself, but it seems to be working for everyone with spotters.

A few years ago the path was much smaller and less defined.
 
I haven't been up there in about two years, but judging by the pictures it's developed into a pretty big path around it. Still not sure I'd do it by myself, but it seems to be working for everyone with spotters.

A few years ago the path was much smaller and less defined.

Hey Michael,

Most things in life a easy with help! :ride

I look at that bypass every year, I'll let you all know
when I think it's "easy" with a loaded KLR ridden by a solo rider ... :laughing

It's just what I expected, we're talking apples and oranges--solo vs group "easy" ...

see you in the funny papers,
-- John A
 
Last edited:
PS: OK saw 1962siia88 crash, ouch ... no gate ...

Yeah it didn't really hurt at first but I've been pretty sore the last couple days. I rode today for the first time since the weekend and put about 170 miles on the fz09. Here's what my elbow looks like today! So much for the shite armor in my firstgear rainer jacket. Glad I was in the dirt and not on pavement!


IMG_0384.jpg


Yes my bathroom is pink and the ceiling is tiled. :laughing
 
Last edited:
Back
Top