• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Last edited:
June 9

Informal ride to Lake Berryesa and access to the 17,700 acre Knoxville OHV area. Convenient meetup point is less than 1 hour from San Francisco or Sacramento.

NOTE: This is an INFORMAL RIDE. There is no assigned lead or sweep.

For those that would like to join the ride but skip the dirt portion of the route, you have the option of continuing to Lower Lake on CA-29.

Gas stops are sparse on this route (80 miles to Cache Creek Casino refuel point, ~160 miles round trip) so please have a full tank of gas when you arrive at Starbucks.

Meetup:

Starbucks
4470 Central Way Ste 100
Fairfield, CA 94534
Starbucks.jpg
Ample parking around meetup point, CP1 or CP2 if you truck/trailer in.
KSU at 9:00am (Adjust clock for DST)

Route: Test your navigation skills and route planning. Set up your GPS waypoints and roadbook reader, and navigate your way through the described route.
.gpx download

Head North on Suisun Valley Rd to Rt-121 Wooden Valley Rd to Rt-128 Cappell Valley Rd (N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767) to Berryessa Knoxville Rd. (West side of Lake Berryessa) for the multiple stream crossings.

Morgan Valley Rd. to the South Entrance of the Knoxville OHV area (N 38 49.019 W 122 21.182). Turn left into Knoxville Devil's Head Rd. then follow signs to "Lower Camp" (N 38 48.518 W 122 22.502).

Head North out of "Lower Camp" on Jeep Trail to "Upper Camp"/Staging Area and back onto Morgan Valley Rd. Knoxville OHV Trail Map

Find the mysterious Rd-40!

Morgan Valley Rd. East on (N 38 52.524 W 122 25.445) Reiff Rd./County Rd 140A/Rayhouse Rd./Rd 40 all the way to CA-16 at Cache Creek Regional Park.

Refuel at Cache Creek Casino (N 38 44.070 W 122 08.639) on CA-16 if necessary.

Return the way we came to maximize off-road time and stay off the boring slab.

Datum is WGS84

Stragglers: For those that can't get up at O Dark thirty in the morning... isn't that the reason Starbucks follows the word 'Beyond'? Try to catch us on the way:

First checkpoint: intersection of CA-121 and CA-128 (Poser's AKA Crossroads: N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767) ~ 9:45AM (depending on how fast we strafe CA-121.)

Second checkpoint: South Entrance to Knoxville OHV on Devilshead Rd. off Morgan Valley Rd, (N 38 49.019 W 122 21.182) ~ 10:30AM if no one drowns in the several water crossings on the Northend of Lake Berryessa. Chance to empty bladder and suck in the fresh air... and for the posers to excuse themselves by staying on the slab to make Lower Lake for lunch.

Third checkpoint: Reiff Rd./Rd-40 and Morgan Valley Rd. (N 38 52.524 W 122 25.445) Probably 12 Noon. Had enough dirt? break off and head out on slab.

Fourth checkpoint: Cache Creek Bridge in Cache Creek Regional Park (N 38 54.518 W 122 18.704) off CA-16. 1:00PM Ditto: Had enough dirt? break off and head out on slab. Hint: The fast route back is through the dirt you just came from.

Usually back at Start point by 3:30PM

GPS, SPOT, Camelback, and Camera highly recommended. Brown bag lunch if you prefer.

Weather: weather.com forecast Rains 48 hrs. prior to KSU cancels events due to flooding and muddy trails.

**GUIDELINES TO RIDE KNOXVILLE OHV RECREATION AREA**
•All vehicles must be street licensed or have a current off-highway vehicle registration (green or red sticker)
•All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed muffler and a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester.
•All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) operators must wear a D.O.T. approved safety helmet.
•No operator of an all-terrain vehicle may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger, may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. (CVC 38506).
•Please respect our neighbors and stay out of private land.
•Yield the right of way to pedestrians, horses or bicycles.
•All roads and trails in the area have two-way traffic. Be alert and always stay to the right-hand side.
•Please stay on designated trails. Avoid cutting switchbacks or driving through stream bottoms and wet meadows. Devilhead Road is a county road, therefore only street licensed vehicles are permitted.
•This area is open to hunting year round. Be extremely cautious when riding during peak hunting seasons.
 
Drew, ride with us on this one for old times sake. Bring your gasgas300 :teeth
 
Drew, ride with us on this one for old times sake. Bring your gasgas300 :teeth

I'm IN with a Plated Smoker set up for Hard Enduro!

ADVrider said:
California street plated EC300:
IMG_0103.JPG


Factory 2011 ISDE Kit: Polisport plastic with factory decals, Rebuilt engine top-end and bottom-end. Rekluse clutch, Barnett clutch basket, S3 Hi-comp head with interchangeable inserts, Wossner piston, Messico pipe, FMF Q-Stealth silencer, TwinAir filter with Power Flow alloy cage, TrailTech Vapor, LTR power valve cover, LTR jetting, Clarke tank, Braking rotors, ProTaper sprockets, Dicks Racing suspension (Marzocchi Shiver forks/Ohlins shock), Motion Pro Micro fork bleeders, IMS Superstock footpegs, Scorpion skid plate, E-line pipe guard, Cycra Pro-bend handguards, EnduroEngineering Rad guards, CV4 31 lbs. radiator cap, In-line alloy impeller, Pirelli Scorpion Pro F.I.M. front tire with Bib-Mousse, Pirelli MT43 Trials rear tire with Tubliss @ 7 psi., Moose Racing wheel/swingarm/shock linkage bearings, heated ProTaper Pillowtop grips, SAE coaxial auxilliary power port for electric heated vest, Shorai battery, Quick release axles, Tugger straps, Guts seat cover, Garmin GPS on Ram-mount, Moose Roll chart reader, Polisport MMX Hi/Lo HID headlight.
 
Last edited:
I've seen The Hun in dirt before. On his Versys. The guy will ride that bike anywhere. :thumbup

Yes this I know, but have you seen him in the March issue of Cycleworld in the "Hotshots" section? Our Hun is published :thumbup
 
Yes this I know, but have you seen him in the March issue of Cycleworld in the "Hotshots" section? Our Hun is published :thumbup

No, I haven't seen that. I'll have to poke around for it online. Kurt = awesome sauce. Period. :thumbup
 
On pavement truck works for me. Plan on meeting CP 2. OK on dirt don't hurt me. Do you do loop returning to CP 2?

Is Koxville rd paved? if not CP 1 would work return through CP 1?

Bruno
 
On pavement truck works for me. Plan on meeting CP 2. OK on dirt don't hurt me. Do you do loop returning to CP 2?

Is Koxville rd paved? if not CP 1 would work return through CP 1?

Bruno

Paved from Meetup Point through CP1 and CP2. Dirt starts on Southern entrance to Knoxville OHV area and ends at CA-16. Option for round-trip or slab from CA-16 back to CP2/CP1/Start.

Don't try to do the route from Knoxville OHV to CA-16 alone. If something goes wrong, you won't be able to contactl 911, and will be lucky if you can hike out of there.
 
Last edited:
Stoked to see this ride! I just relocated to the North Bay last year for 4 years of graduate school and just finished up for year one last week.

I have a re-built 94' XR600 that i've been wanting to get out and ride! Still has good Oregon plates thru 14'.

I'm going to try and make the Redwood Run next week but will for sure try and make the July run with you guys. Looks like a perfect run for my XR:thumbup

I'm just over in Vallejo and looking to make some riding connections through BARF while i have some free time.

Cheers!

BHB
 
Stoked to see this ride! I just relocated to the North Bay last year for 4 years of graduate school and just finished up for year one last week.

I have a re-built 94' XR600 that i've been wanting to get out and ride! Still has good Oregon plates thru 14'.

I'm going to try and make the Redwood Run next week but will for sure try and make the July run with you guys. Looks like a perfect run for my XR:thumbup

I'm just over in Vallejo and looking to make some riding connections through BARF while i have some free time.

Cheers!

BHB

Either bike should work fine for that ride. I'm going to miss yet another one of these, as I will be on the Spring Rally up north.

Speaking of which, I replied to your PM, BHB. :thumbup
 
Either bike should work fine for that ride. I'm going to miss yet another one of these, as I will be on the Spring Rally up north.

Speaking of which, I replied to your PM, BHB. :thumbup

What's the Spring rally?
 
Either bike should work fine for that ride. I'm going to miss yet another one of these, as I will be on the Spring Rally up north.

Speaking of which, I replied to your PM, BHB. :thumbup

Thanks so much for the PM LB. I'm really looking forward to the spring ride next week! Thinking I might bring up the XR.:thumbup
 
You could do it on your KTM

Thanks Sharky. I have had so little time to ride this past year. Been recovering from a bad crash in Alaska last summer. Finally almost 100% and ready to ride this summer. Nice to hear this run can be done by the big DS machines. :thumbup
 
Back
Top