• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Sorry Paul, I will be at the DBC. Too bad, as the weather is just about perfect this month.
 
Am interested, anyone near me headed up for the ride ?

I'm interested in sticking to the dirt sections.
 
I am not ready for it. Need to upgrade my Tiger for off road. Last time a few things not dirt ready broke.
 
Rainin' on the Whole Parade

Folks,

Just rode Knoxville, Rayhouse and Sand Creek Rds in a big loop leaving and arriving back from my house in Davis.


Anyways, Knoxville Rd is supposed to be closed this Sunday from 0800 until Noon. Locals say there's a Triathalon. Ph. number is on the posted signs.

I have a problem with the ability to completely shut down a public road....but I guess if you throw enough money at CHP it happens. We've seen this road partiallly close (with the roadblock stuck right around a blind corner this spring) but not a complete closure as this promises to be.


Timing is bad since with the shorter days getting up to the dirt sections at 1230 (that is IF they actually open the road at Noon) will make it tight to get back to the bay area before dark.

Photo of the sign: Ph # is 415 310 0788 if anyone else wants to share their opinions.

1009131252-00_zps1ef15f9a.jpg



and a teaser from the dam so you know what you'll be missing:

1009131351-00_zps0cc695a3.jpg


Maybe a re-do for next Sunday October 20th??
 
Last edited:
Folks,

... Knoxville Rd is supposed to be closed this Sunday from 0800 until Noon.

^ this sux :wtf

Thanks for the heads-up!

... Maybe a re-do for next Sunday October 20th??

I'd be open to either a modified route (or Carnegie?) or different timing.


Could the route start on the East side of the lake using this, and maybe return via the normal path?

If you'd like to do a longer ride with 40mph+ to WOT dirt: From Cache Creek go 5.2 miles South on CA-16 to Rumsey (Directions), turn East on Rd-41 (N 38 53.362 W 122 14.358 ) to Williams.
 
I think Paul is on to something, If we ride the paved roads from the meetup spot, then we just continue on 128 instead of heading north on 121 to the Lake. We head to Winters and take the road that parallels I505 to Hwy 16 and head to Cache Creek Casino for gas. Then head to the Cache Creek campground and Zero Ton Bridge and run our usual dirt ride in the opposite direction. We should get to Knoxville-Berryessa Rd well after the event is over.

How does that sound?
 
If you take the alternate route through Winters, you'll want to go north on County Road 89.

In downtown Winters it's called Railroad. It's the road running north from first stop light you come to if heading east through Winters.

CR 89 will take you straight to Hwy 16. Then head back west to the Casino and eventually Cache creek and the Low Water Bridge. It's a bit of a drone on a smaller bike.

Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post

If you'd like to do a longer ride with 40mph+ to WOT dirt: From Cache Creek go 5.2 miles South on CA-16 to Rumsey (Directions), turn East on Rd-41 (N 38 53.362 W 122 14.358 ) to Williams.

Yes, this is Sandcreek Rd. Posted as CR41 on Hwy 16. It runs east/west between Hwy 16 in the Capay Valley and the town of Arbuckle at the north edge of Yolo County. The road is pretty well graded dirt/gravel and a much easier ride (and less technical) than Rayhouse. It goes through trees with 3 shallow creek crossings (dry now) and can be a really nice ride for new riders on larger bikes. You can either dwaddle and enjoy the country or be a Dakar Hero on a few sections that allow seeing the road a half mile or so ahead.

The road is gated and is usually locked in winter. The gate is located about 1.5 miles east of Hwy 16. There is NO workaround as this gate is well reinforced. The gate was open when I rode it on Oct 9 although there are 2 signs that state the gate is closed...so be persistent. No gate on the east side.

Once in Arbuckle (fuel available) you can either turn around and go back or jump on I-5 or take 99W which is the old road that runs along the RR tracks that was there before I-5 went in (this works well for smaller bikes that don't want to run at 75-80 for an hour or so).

Going north will take you back to Williams and Hwy 20 into Clear Lake. South will take you to Woodland/Davis and eventually I-80.
 
Last edited:
Dirt bag challenge. 2pm in SF.

I also won't make the 2nd Sunday ride, but for a sadder reason...had to say goodbye to the vstrom yesterday...:cry :cry :cry :(:mad

It was the victim of a failed tie-down strap :mad - just getting off the freeway a mile from home after towing all day from Reno and checking the straps regularly :wtf

Lessons learned - have higher quality newer straps then you think you need - and don't call your insurance agent UNTIL you've had your mechanic check it first. Turns out it was mostly cosmetic (bike actually stayed half on the trailer, right side straps held firm) but older bike vs cost of repair w new parts & labor and they totaled. Would have bought it back salvage but $#s were heavily skewed against doing so :(...but actual settlement was quite good...AND Ive got a lot of farkles to sell or save for my next vstrom :thumbup

Very sad last few weeks - I think its Daks or someone whose tag line is don't get emotionally connected to your bike - it will only hurt you....too true. Went so far as to call the wrecking co (Copart) regarding the salvage auction but you need a $600 sellers permit to even participate.

So I'm shopping :thumbup...seriously looking at a dualsport for now - maybe a drz...I gotta hard on for those zooks...and shop for a vstrom replacement in the spring/summer! ! Looking forward to the end of month moto show! And I may be pming you all for test rides :teeth

And yeah since I got no moto for Knoxville this wknd, gonna try and see the DBC :thumbup


T
 
Last edited:
Tim..... so sorry about your beloved VSTROM. Glad you salvaged what you could from it. There's a whole spectrum of bikes out there for you to consider. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and tell you that a smaller lighter DS bike will be a joy to ride in the dirt compared to your DL1000.
CYA on the next ride..............
 
What a way to go... That Vstrom's been through a lot.

On to the next bike...
 
Wow. Bummer to hear about the Wee Tim but hopefully this will open up for a slightly 'dirtier' bike although that monster had no problem getting dirty going to hell and back. Good luck in the search!
 
Ouch, Tim. I suppose if one is going to total a bike, that's the best way to do it. Still, I know how much you and that bike have been through together. Sorry, man. :(
 
Sorry about the bike Tim. Glad it worked out ok with the insurance though. Surprisingly, buy back prices are quite high. Buy back for my DR650 is $2k! Insurance companies have gotten wise and contract with salvage yards for buy back prices - at least that's what I was told by the insurance company.

The new V-Strom is looking nice, although I think you should go with a more dirt oriented motorcycle.

I'm looking to get a WR250R myself, although I don't think anything is wrong with the DRZ400. :)

This reminds me I need to finish up negotiation for my motorcycle. It was totalled, other driver's insurance has given me a fair offer for the stock bike but I'm negotiating upgrades and such done to the bike. Fortunately I have nearly all the receipts.
 
Back
Top