• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Damn did his mug hit the windshield? Ever since this happened I have been making it a habit of slowing through blind corners and staying real tight to the outside. I've had a lot of close calls where the car/truck is hauling ass in the middle of the single lane probably just like this hunter.

Chris's helmet looked relatively untouched; pretty sure he hit the windshield with his shoulder = no neck or head injuries :thumbup

Glad to hear the positive prognosis. I'm no doctor but It's my understanding that taking bone supplements with: Zinc, Copper, Calcium, Phosphorus, Silicon and vitamins C, D, and K can speed up the process and result in better bone health overall. :)
 
I've been pretty swamped recently so the time to get out and about has been cut down but things are getting a little better and I am excited to get back out with this crowd!

Reading through the past couple pages, heal up Chris, some sections of that road made me real nervous about stuff like that. I hope the other party does right by you and you have no lasting issues from it.
 
Damn! :(

I'm sorry to hear of your crash, Chris. I hope you're feeling better and are healing up nicely. I'm sure you don't feel very lucky at the moment but it looks like things could have been so much worse. Heal up so we can ride again! :thumbup




WoodsChick
 
Just peeked in here and saw this. Heal up Chris. Good thing it was a slow-speed deal! Just curious, were you wearing armored gear? Do you think different gear would have helped the outcome?
 
Just peeked in here and saw this. Heal up Chris. Good thing it was a slow-speed deal! Just curious, were you wearing armored gear? Do you think different gear would have helped the outcome?

Thanks again to all the well wishers. :) Sorry to derail this thread so much.

I wore my typical offroad gear, which consists of:

Sidi Adventure boots
Klim Dakar pants (contains thin pads in armor slots)
EVS Knee/Shin guards
Thor Impact rig SE under armor/pressure suit
Fox Bomber gloves (light MX glove with armored knuckles)
Shoei Hornet DS helmet

I had just taken off my Klim Traverse jacket that I wear over the pressure suit. If I had left the jacket on I would've avoided underarm lacerations.

I have a set of brace type knee/shin guards that cover the lower thigh. I was not wearing these. If I was I may have averted the broken knee, at the very least they could've prevented some of the cut/bruising on my thigh caused by my camera screw mount.

I don't think I was under protected, however I'll be wearing the knee braces from now on.

I believe my elbow went into the windshield, not my shoulder. I may have missed a fracture diagnosis at my elbow, I'm going to go to the Dr. to get it evaluated. This was an unnoticed injury until recently. For force of the impact dislocated my shoulder. I'm not entirely sure how the leg was broken. The Dr. at the ER thought it may have been a twisting hyperextension? Perhaps my boot caught on something on the way out. Although the hood damage is probably from my knee.

The CHP ruled the other driver at fault. Given that the other party's insurance had started evaluating damages on me & my motorcycle prior to the CHP report I believe this was their assumption as well. The front & back photos I have show the truck at rest in the middle of the road.

Prior to the accident, when I saw the approaching trucks I slowed down to ~20mph to pass. The oncoming truck was on his side of the road, and I was on mine. It looked like the driver stuck his head out the window to look out off the road or behind him & during this process his truck swerved over to my side of the road and we collided. Fortunately he wasn't going that fast (20mph?). I was able to slow down to about 3mph or so (last GPS reading prior to 0/accident).
 
Last edited:
Thanks again to all the well wishers. :) Sorry to derail this thread so much.

I wore my typical offroad gear, which consists of:

Sidi Adventure boots
Klim Dakar pants (contains thin pads in armor slots)
EVS Knee/Shin guards
Thor Impact rig SE under armor/pressure suit
Fox Bomber gloves (light MX glove with armored knuckles)
Shoei Hornet DS helmet

I had just taken off my Klim Traverse jacket that I wear over the pressure suit. If I had left the jacket on I would've avoided underarm lacerations.

I have a set of brace type knee/shin guards that cover the lower thigh. I was not wearing these. If I was I may have averted the broken knee, at the very least they could've prevented some of the cut/bruising on my thigh caused by my camera screw mount.

I don't think I was under protected, however I'll be wearing the knee braces from now on.

I believe my elbow went into the windshield, not my shoulder. I may have missed a fracture diagnosis at my elbow, I'm going to go to the Dr. to get it evaluated. This was an unnoticed injury until recently. For force of the impact dislocated my shoulder. I'm not entirely sure how the leg was broken. The Dr. at the ER thought it may have been a twisting hyperextension? Perhaps my boot caught on something on the way out. Although the hood damage is probably from my knee.

The CHP ruled the other driver at fault. Given that the other party's insurance had started evaluating damages on me & my motorcycle prior to the CHP report I believe this was their assumption as well. The front & back photos I have show the truck at rest in the middle of the road.

Prior to the accident, when I saw the approaching trucks I slowed down to ~20mph to pass. The oncoming truck was on his side of the road, and I was on mine. It looked like the driver stuck his head out the window to look out off the road or behind him & during this process his truck swerved over to my side of the road and we collided. Fortunately he wasn't going that fast (20mph?). I was able to slow down to about 3mph or so (last GPS reading prior to 0/accident).

Good news u r on the mend. Let me know if you have issues with being compensated. I certainly make some arty recommendations.
 
Anyone going this Sunday?
 
sweet! maybe you can show me how to ride it properly.
anybody else in for some fun in the dirt? :party
 
Ok here’s what ya gotta do. Trials ride part of the Rubicon trail (Loon Lake to Little Sluice and back). 9/19/13

Stage N 39 00 12 W 120 18 41.89

A friend of mine and I are planning to do this Thurs 9/19/13 ~ 9am Will camp N 38 59 7.45 W 120 22 47.12 up there Wed 9/18 and 9/19 return home 9/20.

Will have a bicycle and a vintage trials bike (87 Honda TLR 200). I have no experience on TLR off road, have walked and ridden (bicycle/carry) route. Have seen dirt bikes there, but only the brave (think dead from the neck up). Trails tough enough that I would not ride bicycle down the trail (big rocks). I have seen trials bikes with skilled rider there and they did it ditto dirt bikes. Terrain beyond my skills, but will take a shot at it. Definitely not big bike friendly. Reserve the right to say “too much” time to turn around. In past years found it takes about 2 hrs walk/bicycle) route each way.

Gorgeous country bring beer, camera, beer, snacks.

Will be camping N 38 59 7.45 W 120 22 47.12., campground does not have water, reservations. Does have tables fire pit, pit toilets. Is flat for RV. Need to bring beer, food, water, beer, etc. I will bring small bbq and stove, camp lamp, propane

Camp 2.5 miles N intersection Ice House Rd and Wentworth springs rd. Stage area about 6 miles E from same intersection to stage area.

Will cancel if weather bad (950, rain, snow, 49o), or if no one else game.

stage area N 39 00 12 W 120 18 41.89

camp N 38 59 7.45 W 120 22 47.12

You game?

Bruno
 
I def want to join you guys for the next Berryessa ride. I should be back from Afghanistan 15 Oct so I guess I will have to wait until the November ride.
 
I def want to join you guys for the next Berryessa ride. I should be back from Afghanistan 15 Oct so I guess I will have to wait until the November ride.

If you are coming back from Afganistan and want to ride in the dirt and dust, lets make a ride sooner after you get back!!!
 
I'll take you up to Stonyford when you get back... Awesome place, it has everything, depending on your skill level.
 
10/13 2nd Sunday Ride

We schedule this ride on the second Sunday every month...same meet up place, same meet up time...pending weather.

Next ride: Oct 13


Informal ride to Lake Berryesa and access to the 17,700 acre Knoxville OHV area. Convenient meetup point is less than 1 hour from San Francisco or Sacramento.

Fear not! This is not hard-core dirt bike riding and knobbies are not required to ride this jeep trail. So it is okay if you do not have a dual-sport or ADV bike. All are welcome but you should feel comfortable riding your bike in the dirt (or wet pavement). Link to riding tips.

For the truly adventurous looking for a challenge: We've seen this terrain handled comfortably on H-D Sportsters, a V-strom with Passenger, a Ural with side car, a FZ6, vintage Triumph Bonnevilles, and sports bikes (See Sjaak Lucassen on an R1: )

NOTE: This is an INFORMAL RIDE. There is no assigned lead or sweep.

For those that would like to join the ride but skip the dirt portion of the route, you have the option of continuing to Lower Lake on CA-29.

Hardcore dirt riders on plated dirt bikes/lightweight DS: Explore the single track around Knoxville OHV heading West (Jerusalem Grade to Hidden Valley Lake off CA-29)... you will be challenged: a Trials bike with a 4-gal tank may be more appropriate...

Gas stops are sparse on this route (80 miles to Cache Creek Casino refuel point, ~160 miles round trip) so please have a full tank of gas when you arrive at Starbucks.

So if you're feeling adventurous to join this ride, meet us at 8:45am.

PLEASE READ GUIDELINES BELOW. THEY WILL APPLY.

Meetup:

Starbucks
4470 Central Way Ste 100
Fairfield, CA 94534
Starbucks.jpg
Ample parking around meetup point, CP1 or CP2 if you truck/trailer in.
KSU at 9:00am (Adjust clock for DST)

Route: Test your navigation skills and route planning. Set up your GPS waypoints and roadbook reader, and navigate your way through the described route.
.gpx download

Link to Rallye/Raid navigation instructions
Link to GPS Coordinates converter
Additional .gpx Tracks courtesy of Catfish

Head North on Suisun Valley Rd to Rt-121 Wooden Valley Rd to Rt-128 Cappell Valley Rd (N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767) to Berryessa Knoxville Rd. (West side of Lake Berryessa) for the multiple stream crossings.

Morgan Valley Rd. to the South Entrance of the Knoxville OHV area (N 38 49.019 W 122 21.182). Turn left into Knoxville Devil's Head Rd. then follow signs to "Lower Camp" (N 38 48.518 W 122 22.502).

Bored? Take a dip at the waterfall 1/2 mile SW of Lower Camp (N 38 48.157 W 122 23.170). Camping is Free in Knoxville OHV and Cache Creek.
57ee11fe270d44c2b90e58573f954d6b.jpg

Head North out of "Lower Camp" on Jeep Trail to "Upper Camp"/Staging Area and back onto Morgan Valley Rd. Knoxville OHV Trail Map

Instead of heading to Lower Lake: Find the mysterious Rd-40!

Morgan Valley Rd. East on (N 38 52.524 W 122 25.445) Reiff Rd./County Rd 140A/Rayhouse Rd./Rd 40 all the way to CA-16 at Cache Creek Regional Park.

Refuel at Cache Creek Casino (N 38 44.070 W 122 08.639) on CA-16 if necessary.

Return the way we came to maximize off-road time and stay off the boring slab.

If you'd like to do a longer ride with 40mph+ to WOT dirt: From Cache Creek go 5.2 miles South on CA-16 to Rumsey (Directions), turn East on Rd-41 (N 38 53.362 W 122 14.358 ) to Williams.

An all day ride would continue on CA-20 to Leesville Rd./Lodoga Rd to Bartlett Springs Rd. or Stonyford and Mendocino NF. Link to Map.

Datum is WGS84

Stragglers: For those that can't get up at O Dark thirty in the morning... isn't that the reason Starbucks follows the word 'Beyond'? Try to catch us on the way:

First checkpoint: intersection of CA-121 and CA-128 (Poser's AKA Crossroads: N 38 26.764 W 122 11.767) ~ 9:45AM (depending on how fast we strafe CA-121.)

Second checkpoint: South Entrance to Knoxville OHV on Devilshead Rd. off Morgan Valley Rd, (N 38 49.019 W 122 21.182) ~ 10:30AM if no one drowns in the several water crossings on the Northend of Lake Berryessa. Chance to empty bladder and suck in the fresh air... and for the posers to excuse themselves by staying on the slab to make Lower Lake for lunch.

Third checkpoint: Reiff Rd./Rd-40 and Morgan Valley Rd. (N 38 52.524 W 122 25.445) Probably 12 Noon. Had enough dirt? break off and head out on slab.

Fourth checkpoint: Cache Creek Bridge in Cache Creek Regional Park (N 38 54.518 W 122 18.704) off CA-16. 1:00PM Ditto: Had enough dirt? break off and head out on slab. Hint: The fast route back is through the dirt you just came from.

Usually back at Start point by 3:30PM

GPS, SPOT, Camelback, and Camera highly recommended. Brown bag lunch if you prefer.

Weather: weather.com forecast Rains 48 hrs. prior to KSU cancels events due to flooding and muddy trails.

**GUIDELINES TO RIDE KNOXVILLE OHV RECREATION AREA**
•All vehicles must be street licensed or have a current off-highway vehicle registration (green or red sticker)
•All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed muffler and a U.S. Forest Service approved spark arrester.
•All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) operators must wear a D.O.T. approved safety helmet.
•No operator of an all-terrain vehicle may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. However, the operator of an all-terrain vehicle, that is designed for operation off of the highway by an operator with no more than one passenger, may carry a passenger when operating on public lands. (CVC 38506).
•Please respect our neighbors and stay out of private land.
•Yield the right of way to pedestrians, horses or bicycles.
•All roads and trails in the area have two-way traffic. Be alert and always stay to the right-hand side.
•Please stay on designated trails. Avoid cutting switchbacks or driving through stream bottoms and wet meadows. Devilhead Road is a county road, therefore only street licensed vehicles are permitted.
•This area is open to hunting year round. Be extremely cautious when riding during peak hunting seasons.
 
Last edited:
Anyone planning to go this Sun? I know the Dirtbag Challenge is alluring...
 
Back
Top