• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Good times, boys (and girls). Heal up Chris.

I'm gonna be out of town for next month's ride, so this is it for me for the season (Sundays until February I'll be practicing my religion -- NFL Sunday Ticket). I really enjoy these rides though, a good group of good riders who happen to be good people. Thanks for tolerating me, and I'll see everyone next year.
 
Paul, it was great seeing you again. Sounds like you did a heck of a job taking charge during the aftermath of the incident with the hunter.

Good to see you too. I didn't take charge of anything, I just stuck around until Chris was surrounded by sheriffs, CHP, & firefighters, and they were about to load him into a chopper.

Chris is home now, by the way.
 
Nice to meet everyone and finally do this route with the Barf group! I hope Chris has a speedy recovery. Nice rallying with you George and thanks for posting the pics! See you guys at the next one. :ride
 
Chris is home now, by the way.

:party

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics from the day:
20130811_145212_zps53f706b7.jpg

20130811_125230_2_zpsc5ada4a0.jpg

20130811_125154_20_zpsf7c6c351.jpg

20130811_125106_11_zpsc6bf0269.jpg

20130811_125106_12_zpsfc3e52c3.jpg

20130811_125106_10_zpsfa305cf3.jpg

20130811_125106_9_zps1858609d.jpg

20130811_125106_4_zpsfdcc8f42.jpg

20130811_125033_9_zpsb8db340f.jpg

20130811_124935_8_zpsc1c21b32.jpg
 
Could have done without the truck incident, sorry Chris, hope you're healing up ok. In opposition to the crappyness of that event, the rest of the day was fantastic! Glad I got to meet some new folks and also hang with some familiar faces as well, all around good stuff! A few of my photos from the day...

sniq.jpg

980q.jpg

w8rj.jpg

sg9k.jpg

f0tg.jpg

oeke.jpg

ip69.jpg

veef.jpg

h87h.jpg

2x5b.jpg

pc12.jpg

kqal.jpg

bjod.jpg
 
Last edited:
A little bummed that I missed out on the ride but I am glad to hear Chris is ok. Sounds like he was on his side of the road and the cage was taking up too much lane. Get better, man!
 
Good to see you too. I didn't take charge of anything, I just stuck around until Chris was surrounded by sheriffs, CHP, & firefighters, and they were about to load him into a chopper.

Chris is home now, by the way.

Just an update to follow up on Paul's post.

First I want to thank all of you that helped out. I'm sorry to say I didn't catch everyone's name that helped. I know some were able to reach the police, either by phone or by motorcycle. I really appreciate people staying around and ensuring I was taken care of.

The main injuries were a dislocated shoulder & a knee injury. Fortunately it was a relatively slow speed accident.

Once at the hospital they were able to put the shoulder back into place, relieving the majority of the pain.

In the knee, the ends of the fibula & femur are broken. I visit an orthopedic tomorrow to get a better idea of the injuries. The ligaments appear all intact. No swelling, and if I don't move anything, not much pain.

The bike is currently at Pope Valley Repair & Towing, I'm researching methods of transporting it from there as storage fees are $50 a day.
 
Pope Valley is pretty awesome for a tow yard! Tell them you know the people who owned the Sprinter that they baby sat for a few days. :laughing
 
Chris, I've got a truck but I wouldn't be able to go get the bike until after 4PM tonight. They close at 5PM and there's a $110 gate fee for after hours pick-ups. I could swing it tomorrow afternoon though. If anyone else is offering, have them PM me, we'll work something out. :thumbup
 
Just an update to follow up on Paul's post.

First I want to thank all of you that helped out. I'm sorry to say I didn't catch everyone's name that helped. I know some were able to reach the police, either by phone or by motorcycle. I really appreciate people staying around and ensuring I was taken care of.

The main injuries were a dislocated shoulder & a knee injury. Fortunately it was a relatively slow speed accident.

Once at the hospital they were able to put the shoulder back into place, relieving the majority of the pain.

In the knee, the ends of the fibula & femur are broken. I visit an orthopedic tomorrow to get a better idea of the injuries. The ligaments appear all intact. No swelling, and if I don't move anything, not much pain.

The bike is currently at Pope Valley Repair & Towing, I'm researching methods of transporting it from there as storage fees are $50 a day.

Good to hear from you Chris.

When I got asspacked on a Berryessa ride years ago, they hauled my bike to the same place. The guys were cool. Your insurance should be doing something about getting the bike back to you or a repair shop.
 
All - I and my buddy Mikey, another DR650 friend of Chris's, are going to head up to Napa either this afternoon or tomorrow to retrieve his bike and return it to his house. I'm in contact with Chris's wife and have sorted out all the details so we're good. Thanks for all the assistance and offers for help, it's been awesome to see everyone rally to help.

Stay safe and hope to see you all on a ride soon.

-Troy
 
All - I and my buddy Mikey, another DR650 friend of Chris's, are going to head up to Napa either this afternoon or tomorrow to retrieve his bike and return it to his house. I'm in contact with Chris's wife and have sorted out all the details so we're good. Thanks for all the assistance and offers for help, it's been awesome to see everyone rally to help.

Stay safe and hope to see you all on a ride soon.

-Troy

:applause

You guys kick ass. :thumbup
 
Oh No! Sorry to hear about your run in with the hunters Chris, that sucks man! Get well, heal up and let me know if i can help in anyway. Sounds like your bike pick up is covered though.... but anything else I'm sure someone here has experience with it and can help.
 
Thanks all. I didn't have to coordinate much of anything, Troy called the towing place & coordinated with my wife to get the bike out tomorrow. Much thanks to them & to Chris & Tim who offered to help with retrieving the bike.

Visit with orthopedic Dr. today. The leg has multiple fractures in the fibula & femur, but the bone held together so no surgery required. I have to be *very* careful with the leg so the bone bits don't pop out while healing. Strecthed ACL, torn calf muscle & partially separated tendon. All which should heal without scapel intervention.

Shoulder may require surgery for torn rotator cuff, but final diagnosis requires an MRI of the shoulder, I'll know more next week. Shoulder has fractured humorous, & torn rotator cuff (as diagnosed from x-rays).
 
Ouch, Chris. Sounds like things could have been a lot worse, but that is still a nasty recovery. If you need anything, I'm in Pacifica and would be more than glad to help out. Just shoot me a PM and I'll jump!
 
Others have already mentioned, should we switch the ride location to somewhere else till hunting season dies down? How about Mines Road to Frank's Grange or Livermore to Carnegie?
 
I'd be down with Carnegie, it is close and maybe more newb's would come out and play. You faster peeps wouldn't have to wait/be bored while we catch up. :)
 
I'd be down with Carnegie, it is close and maybe more newb's would come out and play. You faster peeps wouldn't have to wait/be bored while we catch up. :)

Carnegie would be a lot of fun. Maybe I could conquer that hill climb that caused me to loop the bike last time. (Or maybe I'll be smart enough to know my limitations and just avoid it). :laughing

The next ride is, I believe, during the same weekend as the Hawthorne rally. If that's the case, I am definitely out.
 
Back
Top