• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Bummer... That was about the most bad ass Vstrom I ever did see.

On another note, I will not be able to make it to the Sunday event. I am flying up to Washington today and bringing my other off road toy down here.

324611_367555239923863_792501632_o.jpg
 
Thanks all for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Yeah, it was like losing a dear friend :( writing the post was a bit like doing an obituary. I've got one last RR to writeup on the Reno 200, and was the last ride for the old vstrom - and she came through as always :thumbup

Will definitely be looking at a lighter/smaller bike, more DS and less ADV :teeth:thumbup - not ruling out anything, with DRZ and WR450 at the top of my list, but also thinking about a Husky SM610 - I do want something 400-650cc range as I need to be able to do decent stretches of slab to get to dirt, w/o ringing it's neck. And yeah, it WILL BE COOL to ride Rieff/Rayhouse/Knox with you guys on the quicker smaller bikes...or at least not be so far behind :rofl.

Though after watching this video I'm gonna have 'ta rethink a DR650 :twofinger

The other thing is I found I really enjoyed the slower big ADV riding just for what it is - trying to convince/finesse/drive a big monster thru challenging dirt terrain, and still have the lux cruising capabilities when on the tarmac :thumbup...and the slower dirt speeds meant when I had a git-off, it was usually a mild one.

@ Landon - nice looking 4x4 truck :thumbup - would be a good chase vehicle when we're riding in the 2nd Sunday rides in the winter! (very first 2nd Sunday DS/ADV ride, led by Drew and Sid, had us end up in Stonyford on a mtn top in the SNOW....)

Thanks all - will keep you apprised of my new adventure - getting a new moto!


Tim
 
Last edited:
Will definitely be looking at a lighter/smaller bike, more DS and less ADV :teeth:thumbup - not ruling out anything, with DRZ and WR450 at the top of my list, but also thinking about a Husky SM610 - I do want something 400-650cc range as I need to be able to do decent stretches of slab to get to dirt, w/o ringing it's neck. And yeah, it WILL BE COOL to ride Rieff/Rayhouse/Knox with you guys on the quicker smaller bikes...or at least not be so far behind :rofl.
Tim

It's unfortunate that there are so many trade offs. In general you ride a fair number of freeway miles to go on the 2nd Sunday rides. Even the DR650 is pretty miserable on the freeway, but at least it can go 75+ before you feel completely desperate. The WR250R looks like it starts to feel pretty crappy to ride at around 60-65mph on the interstate. The 80mph+ jaunts on the one liter v-strom won't be happening on the smaller dual sports...

I'd love to get a 400-500cc dual sport, but the options are limited to higher strung racing bikes unless you don't mind the older DRZ400. If we could convince Yamaha/Honda/etc...to make street legal 450s.
 
The WR250R looks like it starts to feel pretty crappy to ride at around 60-65mph on the interstate.

It's far more complicated than that: you have to factor in wind speed & direction, elevation changes, your weight, the drag coefficient of your gear, whether your helmet has a peak,... :laughing

Before I dropped a tooth on the front, it would hold 70 reasonably well, and I didn't really mind the buzz. 65 was relatively comfortable with a bit less buzz. 70+ was possible, but required planning and the hands go numb after about 40 min. 85 was a one-time event, down a hill with a tailwind. I've read stories of smaller riders getting them up over 90, but it ain't gonna happen stock with me on board.
 
...had to say goodbye to the vstrom yesterday...:cry :cry :cry :(:mad

Damn, just saw this. Sorry Tim, I know you've been through a lot with that bike. Maybe you'd like the redesigned 2014 model.
 
Damn, just saw this. Sorry Tim, I know you've been through a lot with that bike. Maybe you'd like the redesigned 2014 model.

^ those look nice!


Anyone planning on going tomorrow? I'm planning to go on the 800, so probably no Rieff/Rayhouse, but I'll follow the rest of whatever our modified route is.
 
Always coming from the east, it's not right for me to suggest alternate routing.

I'm IN if there's an alternate route that I can make. Otherwise, I'll give it a rest till November (and then locked gates will become the problem)
 
For anyone going to Carnegie, I will be there with a buddy aroun 9am. We are going to be riding our dirt bikes but welcome some dual sports to come along.
 
Wow Tim, that really sucks! So that happened right after the Reno 200? Here's the last pic I have of her (sorry for the orange thing in the way).
p.png


Thanks all for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Yeah, it was like losing a dear friend :( writing the post was a bit like doing an obituary. I've got one last RR to writeup on the Reno 200, and was the last ride for the old vstrom - and she came through as always :thumbup

Will definitely be looking at a lighter/smaller bike, more DS and less ADV :teeth:thumbup - not ruling out anything, with DRZ and WR450 at the top of my list, but also thinking about a Husky SM610 - I do want something 400-650cc range as I need to be able to do decent stretches of slab to get to dirt, w/o ringing it's neck. And yeah, it WILL BE COOL to ride Rieff/Rayhouse/Knox with you guys on the quicker smaller bikes...or at least not be so far behind :rofl.

Though after watching this video I'm gonna have 'ta rethink a DR650 :twofinger

The other thing is I found I really enjoyed the slower big ADV riding just for what it is - trying to convince/finesse/drive a big monster thru challenging dirt terrain, and still have the lux cruising capabilities when on the tarmac :thumbup...and the slower dirt speeds meant when I had a git-off, it was usually a mild one.

@ Landon - nice looking 4x4 truck :thumbup - would be a good chase vehicle when we're riding in the 2nd Sunday rides in the winter! (very first 2nd Sunday DS/ADV ride, led by Drew and Sid, had us end up in Stonyford on a mtn top in the SNOW....)

Thanks all - will keep you apprised of my new adventure - getting a new moto!


Tim
 
So what happened last Sunday??

Did anyone ride the normal or modified route?

Are we re-scheduling or just going in November?
 
Will definitely be looking at a lighter/smaller bike, more DS and less ADV :teeth:thumbup -
Tim

Hey Tim, sorry to hear about the wee, it was always fun trouncing around with you on that thing. If you plan on doing slab work, I think you're looking in the right direction 600- 690cc is a good place to be to have some fun off road and still have feeling in your hands on road.

There are some good choices out there:
new school - Husky 610/630, KTM 690 (used and sorted)
old school - XR650L/R or DR650
smaller will be buzzier on slab but way more fun in the dirt...pick ur poison. :teeth

of course there's always the dark side....950/990:later
 
I'd be interested in doing the dirt route this Saturday, Oct 19th.

Anyone ?

I rode it on Saturday with a friend on our fully loaded KLR's on our way to Stonyford / Mendocino on Saturday.
The whole section of Reiff / Rayhouse is in great shape and we had no problems on our bikes even with full panniers and camping gear. We were running knobbies so that makes a big difference.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=8205525f73ef4136c







 
Last edited:
Hey Tim, sorry to hear about the wee, it was always fun trouncing around with you on that thing. If you plan on doing slab work, I think you're looking in the right direction 600- 690cc is a good place to be to have some fun off road and still have feeling in your hands on road.

There are some good choices out there:
new school - Husky 610/630, KTM 690 (used and sorted)
old school - XR650L/R or DR650
smaller will be buzzier on slab but way more fun in the dirt...pick ur poison. :teeth

of course there's always the dark side....950/990:later

Hi Eldrick :wave

Great list :thumbup - I'm looking at them all ncld the 990 :twofinger...leaning towards the smaller DS for now and revisit bigger DS/ADV bike in the Spring...plan on test riding the new vstrom 1000 and ktm 1190 adv :teeth


T
 
I hope dealer will fix transmission on Tiger before next month ride. :|
 
Hey Doug! Glad you found your way over here. Looking forward to trying to keep up with you on the trails sometime. Enjoy the desert trip.
 
Does this ride still happen every second Sunday of the month?
I'd be in for November 10th.
Titus, Lunchbox, et al Lets do it!
 
Does this ride still happen every second Sunday of the month?
I'd be in for November 10th.
Titus, Lunchbox, et al Lets do it!

I'm not going to make this one. I'll be in NY for a wedding. Sorry, Dean. :(
 
Understandable Aaron, wedding usually means bachelor party :party

See you next month then, or plan a ride and I'll be there.
 
Back
Top