• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Got a new battery in. Bike starts but isn't holding idle. I'll attempt to ride it tomorrow and see if it'll sort out itself. If not, I'm gonna have to fuck with it. So my attendance chances went down to 50/50.
 
I'm out. Bike runs super lean(header glows), dies with any throttle input. Looks like a clogged carb. Don't have time to deal with it until Monday. Shit.
 
Hi guys - just a heads up it's been unseasonably cool up here - it's currently 81. We had 105 + days a couple of weeks ago. It actually rained yesterday so the dust won't be so bad!
 
Hey all,

I'm looking to do an overnighter dual sport ride. I am not familiar with this area. Would this be a decent place for such a thing?

The area has to allow overnight camping and be accessible by jeep (my brother's wife does not ride but likes to follow us in her jeep).

Sorry if this info is already stated somewhere in this thread.

-Mark
 
Mark you could stage out of Knoxville ohv for camping that's jeep accessible. Google Knoxville ohv for info. When would you be heading up there?
 
Unknown at this time. My brother and his wife live down south. We have not picked a date. In April we did Tour de Inland Empire where we hit J Tree, Big Bear, and Idyllwild in a big loop camping at a different place every night (2 nights). I'm looking to plan something similar up here and am scouting for locations. I think Berryessa may be a good starting point.
 
I rode Knoxville Berryessa, through the OHV area and over through Lake County yesterday (skipped Reiff Rd.)

No smoke or smell from the Wragg fire at all. We dropped into Berryessa from 128 via Lake Hennessy avoiding posers corner area.

First time on anything other than flat dirt on my Strom. Nailed the bash plate pretty hard a few times, and bottomed out the suspension a few times. Not the best tool for the job, but my Metzler Karoo3 tires were hooking up nicely on all the loose stuff.

 
Glad to hear your like those Karoos. I've been considering getting some.

How are they in the twisties? Highways? Rain? Lava?

Are they loud on the road?

Right now it's a toss up between this tire and the Metzler Tourance NEXT.
 
I rode Knoxville Berryessa, through the OHV area and over through Lake County yesterday (skipped Reiff Rd.)

First time on anything other than flat dirt on my Strom. Nailed the bash plate pretty hard a few times, and bottomed out the suspension a few times. Not the best tool for the job, but my Metzler Karoo3 tires were hooking up nicely on all the loose stuff.

Hey Cabrito,

How long have you had a V-Strom ... is it the 650? :ride

Congratulations on the new bike (if it's new :laughing) ...
wee-stroms are great bikes and the 1000s, used, are
great values ...

Was it very hot up there?

see you around the campfire,
--SFMCjohn
 
Glad to hear your like those Karoos. I've been considering getting some.

How are they in the twisties? Highways? Rain? Lava?

Are they loud on the road?

Right now it's a toss up between this tire and the Metzler Tourance NEXT.

I'm not fast in the twisties so they do fine for me. Same as any DS or Knobby in the rain. I usually slow my roll a bit when the streets are wet. They howl like hell just like knobbies.. I think they make my ABS activate a lot because of the wide spacing in the tread. I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but they came with the bike so I'm just running them out. They have about 3k miles on them and look about half spent or a little more.


Hey Cabrito,

How long have you had a V-Strom ... is it the 650? :ride

Congratulations on the new bike (if it's new :laughing) ...
wee-stroms are great bikes and the 1000s, used, are
great values ...

Was it very hot up there?

see you around the campfire,
--SFMCjohn

Hey there John, Yeah, the DL650 is new to me since April. The ergo's are not that great for me. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Certainly not as fun in the rough stuff as my KLR, but blows it away on everything else except city riding in heavy traffic.

It was hot to me. Probably in the mid 80's. I was using a cooling vest, but it only helped a little. I'm not sure if I'm just out of shape or not, but I had to take a lot of breaks to cool off. I also had my street helmet & street riding gear on. I wished I had my DS helmet, and my offroad pants.
 
Last edited:
Hey there John, Yeah, the DL650 is new to me since April. The ergo's are not that great for me. Not sure if I'm going to keep it. Certainly not as fun in the rough stuff as my KLR, but blows it away on everything else except city riding in heavy traffic.

It was hot to me. Probably in the mid 80's. I was using a cooling vest, but it only helped a little. I'm not sure if I'm just out of shape or not, but I had to take a lot of breaks to cool off. I also had my street helmet & street riding gear on. I wished I had my DS helmet, and my offroad pants.

Yes, I do a lot of KLR riding on the highway with a 14 front sprocket and
DOT knobbies, and it really is just painful after a while ... :laughing
Often thought about maybe an upgrade to a DL for the KLR,
but a DL would maybe be a better replacement for my K75s ...
love the K bike for long streetbike rides, but it would be nice
to have a bike for getting the last few miles to a good dispersed-style
campground at the end of the day ...

After living in San Francisco for 20 years I really suffer in the "heat" ...
anything over 70, ha ... :| Guess getting older doesn't help either ... :party

see you soon,
-- John A
 
Back
Top