• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

I did Reiff/Reyhouse a couple weeks ago on my 500 with 17" super sport tires on it and that was really fun. Also made a pit stop in Knoxville to go down to the waterfall. Probably a bit much for street tires but it was fun. For the smaller dual sport bikes with knobbies I def recommend exploring Knoxville if you want more of a challenge.
 

Attachments

  • 2289.jpg
    2289.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 99
My wife's cold has morphed into pneumonia so my plans are changing hr to hr.

If possible, I want to ride out to the Reiff/Rayhouse gate tomorrow and discover whether it's locked or not.

If locked I'll see if I can find a work-around that's better for the bigger bikes. The path around the gate on the low side is a bit dicey without assistance for the big boys.

If this all works out, I'll post my findings.

Tentatively I'll be going Sunday. I've been keeping up with the Dakar so eagerly that I'm not riding (or doing much else either)
 
I can't go either on Sunday... Wife is working but I'm going to Stonyford on Saturday. If anyone wants to ride some dirt. I have a friend that has a Non-Plated 450x.
Staging at Little Stony Campground. Going to stop for breakfast at Granzella's around 09:00 then head on out.
 
Guys I did the ride from Fairfield to where Hwy 16 and 20 meet not much of an adventure ride.... what am I missing?

Does not anyone take the dirt/gravel roads that are north of 16/20 into Stony and over to Middle Creek or Lake Pillsbury ? This could be done on either Adventure type bikes or small dual sports. Last time I did this we staged out of Cowboy Camp...
Try do'in Rief/Reyhouse on an I4 600, w/ worn out Pilot Powers if'n ya wanta adventure! :toothless

Reyhouse_rd__2.jpg


IMG_1042___3.jpg
 
Haha, that's awesome! I'm running the Pilot Power 3's on my sumo wheels but I bet it's a whole different story on that bike.
 
I still can't tell if there will there be anyone doing the ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd ride. Maybe that's the answer ...... no; I still plan on being at Knoxville if I find anyone else who will be there
 
Just got back in after an afternoon/evening recon ride up B/K.

All the water crossings are dry (duh). Deer are all over the creek area at dusk looking for water. Gonna be a hard year for the wildlife.

The gate is closed, chained and locked.

The lock is a 4 digit rolling combination padlock. It was set at 0-1-1-0 when I found it. Knowing that humans are a lazy lot, I tried every combination I could think of within 1 or 2 numbers of this setting.....no luck. Also tried 9-1-1 combinations. If anyone makes it up to the gate for any reason, it would be good to post what numbers are showing on the lock....maybe we can crack it.

One fun workaround (coming from west going east) is on the right (high) side of the gate...goes up about 8 ft, pivots left and back down on the other side. I'd give it a try on my DRZ but don't have the skills to do it on the Africa Twin.

The other workaround is on the left. Goes downhill about 20 ft then right (off camber/rocky) and a short climb back up about 8 ft and then shallow climb up to the road on the other side. Problem with this is the off camber right and short steep climb-out with no room to maintain momentum. I'd rate it doable but difficult for bigger bikes and best with some guys standing at the corner to make certain you don't miss the turn.

Miss the turn and it's about 30ft downhill through the Manzanita and serious rocks. It would be an expensive "ooops".

As for Sunday, I'll have to see how Carole does with her pneumonia over the next day or so. I'll likely not be able to commit until Sunday Morning.

If I go I'll meet you guys at the 121/128 intersection at the closed restaurant.

Dakar rest day tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
whatta weenie. I'm out; gate issue spooks me. thanks guys, will look around for another jeep fire road ride
 
Just got back in after an afternoon/evening recon ride up B/K.

All the water crossings are dry (duh). Deer are all over the creek area at dusk looking for water. Gonna be a hard year for the wildlife.

The gate is closed, chained and locked.

The lock is a 4 digit rolling combination padlock. It was set at 0-1-1-0 when I found it. Knowing that humans are a lazy lot, I tried every combination I could think of within 1 or 2 numbers of this setting.....no luck. Also tried 9-1-1 combinations. If anyone makes it up to the gate for any reason, it would be good to post what numbers are showing on the lock....maybe we can crack it.

One fun workaround (coming from west going east) is on the right (high) side of the gate...goes up about 8 ft, pivots left and back down on the other side. I'd give it a try on my DRZ but don't have the skills to do it on the Africa Twin.

The other workaround is on the left. Goes downhill about 20 ft then right (off camber/rocky) and a short climb back up about 8 ft and then shallow climb up to the road on the other side. Problem with this is the off camber right and short steep climb-out with no room to maintain momentum. I'd rate it doable but difficult for bigger bikes and best with some guys standing at the corner to make certain you don't miss the turn.

Miss the turn and it's about 30ft downhill through the Manzanita and serious rocks. It would be an expensive "ooops".

As for Sunday, I'll have to see how Carole does with her pneumonia over the next day or so. I'll likely not be able to commit until Sunday Morning.

If I go I'll meet you guys at the 121/128 intersection at the closed restaurant.

Dakar rest day tomorrow.

Getting around the gate the bottom way last year wasn't too difficult but you do have to mentally get past the bottom portion and that serious drop. I did t have much trouble on my NX, but probably would not have tried it without a spotter at the bottom to catch me if it all went wrong.
 
Has anybody ever considered a secret trail building expedition ? We could hide it somewhat and make a loop around the gate. Just saying :wtf
 
It was a few month cinse I've been there the last time
I think this it the gate. I could be wrong though.
Looks like it could be possible
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 112
You might want to consider picks and/or dynamite. The ground there is incredibly rocky with most being football sized and going up to refrigerator sized.

The vegetation is mostly thick brush with the majority being Manzanita which is very difficult to trim back without a chainsaw.

Routing a trail downhill (to the left would be difficult because it's such a steep slope going downhill.

Up to the right is possible but then you have to figure out how to get back downhill to the road which would be a steep drop.

Not saying it's impossible just that it would be a major undertaking on someone else's land and would be so noisy that it wouldn't exactly be a secret endeavor.

I think our best bet is to try to figure out the gate combination. I have a friend that works for Yolo County. I'll see if he can discover anything. I'll also stop up the the Cal Fire station in Spanish Flat and see if I can play the "fireman card" to any affect.

Still on the fence about tomorrow's ride....apologies.
 
Last edited:
OK Missed Sunday ride so: planning a ride out of Pollock Pines Thurs 1/16/14. primarily dirt/jeep roads trails may not be big bike friendly, but my skills set is big bike friendly so there you go. Route at this point is to get to 88 for lunch., but illdefined and flexible. Probably under 100 miles, only real defined stuff is rolling 10 am Pollock Pines and ending pllock pines b- 4 dark. In between ?????. This will happen only caveat is weather, but at this point they’re calling 67 deg
 
I've been there twice when the gate was locked and had no problem going around the high side and I was with a friend that had a Tiger 800 and he went around the low side. Also another friend with a DRZ 650. It can be done easily. The next time I go, i'll get the GPS coordinates for reference. And do a little scouting for possibilities.
 
Back
Top