• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

At the end of Berryessa Knoxville rd from Lower Lake we came to 128 and took a left and that took us to 121. I noticed a big parking lot on my left, I believe there was a small restaurant and maybe a small store but big parking lot on my left. Would the be first ck point?

Yes, that's Poser's AKA Crossroads Checkpoint 1 http://g.co/maps/kwv7w . Further up CA-128, 1/4 mile south of the turnoff to Berryessa Knoxville Rd. is 'Turtle Rock' http://g.co/maps/88vbc . Turtle Rock is not one of the checkpoints but some folks link up with us at that location.

Come down with your friends and let's get you in on this monthly ride. We split up to ride in groups of 3-5 on similar type bikes, and can run 50-60 deep... but it doesn't get crowded (Truthfully).

There's a longer route we take past Cache Creek that we post as the Stonyford to Upperlake thread. We're riding that route this Sunday 4/29, and probably both routes on the way up to the Mendo NF Rally May 3-6.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, I'll keep a eye on this post. Right now I still need to do the skid plate/crash bar up-grade before I hit the dirt. I've rode Knoxville a few times on my smoker, Red Elephant minning trail is a blast.
 
Thanks, I'll keep a eye on this post. Right now I still need to do the skid plate/crash bar up-grade before I hit the dirt. I've rode Knoxville a few times on my smoker, Red Elephant minning trail is a blast.

Unless you're going over logs or big rocks, the skid plate isn't essential. But the crash bars... definitely. First tip over they'll pay for themselves.
 
Don't want any rocks hitting my oil cooler but to tell the truth, after the last couple of rides I might get the seat first, we did a 238 mile loop Sunday and that seat has to go.
 
Don't want any rocks hitting my oil cooler but to tell the truth, after the last couple of rides I might get the seat first, we did a 238 mile loop Sunday and that seat has to go.

Check this out:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-041-1105/Oil-Cooler-Guard-Suzuki-V-Strom-DL1000

I just got their last one of these bad boys:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-390-5135/Skid-Plate-Suzuki-V-Strom-DL650-2012-on

great USA company with cool designs.

also you don't need to spend a lot of money on crash bars. ive heard reports on the stromtroopers that they vibrate anyway.
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=269

this guy imports his stuff most likely, but at least it ships from Texas.
 
Last edited:
I doubt that dirt of any kind will bend a motorcycle frame. It may bend or break the slider bolts themselves. Then you throw them away and get another pair for $50. If you damage your $450 imported crash bars, it will cost you $450 to make your wrecked bike look new again. :twocents
 
The whole point of imported crash bars is just that...to crash them. More scars=more street cred. For all they know, you just finished riding the TAT after your short trip to the yukon and are head off to Baja in the morning.
 
The whole point of imported crash bars is just that...to crash them. More scars=more street cred. For all they know, you just finished riding the TAT after your short trip to the yukon and are head off to Baja in the morning.

Ok I'll give you that. Tattoo metaphore as well seems valid. I'd better get some tattoo guards.
 
Haha yea but realistically, people get crash guards to help protect not just the frame but it helps with engine cases, tanks, and radiators. Much more preferred offroad as far as I know
 
I doubt that dirt of any kind will bend a motorcycle frame. It may bend or break the slider bolts themselves. Then you throw them away and get another pair for $50. If you damage your $450 imported crash bars, it will cost you $450 to make your wrecked bike look new again. :twocents

My crash bars were $170 from sporttour.com including shipping. They have some patina now and I'm just fine with that.

As far as what bends or breaks when your bike has momentum and the slider catches on something, that depends on many things, but it's not going to be good and it probably won't be any better than no sliders at all.
 
Check this out:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-041-1105/Oil-Cooler-Guard-Suzuki-V-Strom-DL1000

I just got their last one of these bad boys:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-390-5135/Skid-Plate-Suzuki-V-Strom-DL650-2012-on

great USA company with cool designs.

also you don't need to spend a lot of money on crash bars. ive heard reports on the stromtroopers that they vibrate anyway.
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=269

this guy imports his stuff most likely, but at least it ships from Texas.

I like the oil cooler guard, that's cool and the skid plate is also cool but not sure that plate will fit my 1000. Also seems that skid plate would have some holes for the oil cooler.
The crash bars, if the bike falls over at least they would save the body parts. I figured if they got scuffed up I would just touch up the paint and then when or if I was to sell the bike just take'm off. The seat, it's not to bad on the highway but in the twisy's it takes away from the fun of it all.
Still recovering from buying the bike right now but I have a list it's just prioritizing and I think the seat just went to the top because she told me it did, LOL

Oh and Stromtroopers, I went to the seat sticky and asked a question about the sargent seat and noone will even give me a strait answer, I don't know if I like that site.
 
Last edited:
The next ride is on May 13? (ie: Mother's Day?)

If so... I can't make this one either. :(
 
Back
Top