• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Yup, good, hot, long ride. Thanks to those organizing, it was a nice romp in the dirt. Despite the 108 degree (indicated) temps as we were riding out.

Props to those of you riding the BIG street bikes out there, very cool. :cool

Good to see you out there bill...you've got some skills with that KTM.
 
The ride today was a hoot! I could care less about the heat, it was much easier riding than pushing a bike through the OHV park :teeth. It was great meeting some new faces this week. I swear, all those orange bikes are cheater bikes! :twofinger
 
Here are the first of many photos from today's ADV ride....enjoy:party
 

Attachments

  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 76
A few more......
 

Attachments

  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 72
Glad you all had fun, Me my shoulder is feeling better but now my left foot started hurting, But I am still ok. I hope to make it next time. If some one wants to go out in the dirt I might like to tag along with my Tiger
 
Knoxville-berryessa rd

Photos of riding around the lake on our way to Knoxville OHV. Once past 'the bridge", the amount of oncoming vehicular traffic was unbelievable. At that point, Knoxville-Berryessa Rd is a lane and a half wide (if that much). Apparently, it was opening day for deer season and all the rifle hunters were out in droves. YIKES!!!!
 

Attachments

  • 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 181.jpg
    181.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 172.jpg
    172.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Knoxville ohv

We get to Knoxville OHV and finally hit the dirt.... Tim (Titus) airs the front tire of his WeeStrom up again. This time with Fix-A-Flat.
 

Attachments

  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 251.jpg
    251.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 255.jpg
    255.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 47
Finally getting around to my post-ride post. First, Greg, thanks for stepping up and running the ride. Looks like you had some fun on that pretty little KLX. Cool bike, man. Very cool.

Great turnout, especially considering the heat. I had an absolute blast beating up Drew's old DR. I beat it up hard enough that it decided it needed a short nap at one point. Fortunately, I emerged unharmed and the bike was perfectly fine. Does it have any new scratches? Hell if I can tell :twofinger

Eldrick, thanks for tagging along on the trip through Clearlake, then back down towards the Bay Area. Man that little DR does NOT like highway speeds. Good thing I'm super light or it would have been REALLY slow going.

Next time, I will be trucking to the meetup spot (or maybe even Turtle Rock). 300+ miles on the little DR made for a long day (and a sore ass).

See you clowns next time! :cool

p.s. Thanks for posting all of the fun pics, Greg. I need to start getting more pics/video on these rides.
 
It's close to noon and we're running late..... and it's hot! We're all romping through Knoxville OHV and it's dusty and rutted and rocky but we all make it out OK....
 

Attachments

  • 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 305.jpg
    305.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 292.jpg
    292.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 288.jpg
    288.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 49
We make it to the northern end of Knoxville OHV and assemble in the shade of a giant oak (?) tree to gab and swap lies before pushing on to Reiff Rd and more dirt road exploring.
 

Attachments

  • 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 318.jpg
    318.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 326.jpg
    326.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 47
  • 328.jpg
    328.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 365.jpg
    365.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 54
We head back out onto the paved road for less than a mile and turn onto Reiff / Rayhouse Rd that takes us across the next valley to the east. We climb and descend along a "closed" public dirt road. Again we're faced with oncoming hunters/rancher in their 4x4's. Most are courteous, but one moron in particular isn't and causes one rider to fall. Eventually we end up at Cache Creek along Hwy16 in the Capay Valley.
 

Attachments

  • 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 401.jpg
    401.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 397.jpg
    397.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 393.jpg
    393.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 388.jpg
    388.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 46
Rayhouse Rd is a bit of a challenge. It's twisty, badly rutted, rocky and stutter bumped. The riders that I'm grouped with are having some issues with these conditions. At one point on a steep downhill with loose dirt/rocks and ruts, the rider in front of me falls forcing me to brake as hard as conditions would allow all the time worrying if the rider behind me could stop in time before hitting me and the rider on the ground. Fortunately, the trailing rider decided to drop his bike instead of a$$ packing us. Now that's a true dirt buddy!

We're not quite at the end of the road. There was more excitement ahead, but my GOPRO battery was drained at this point. So, that's all folks.
 

Attachments

  • 403.jpg
    403.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 404.jpg
    404.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 407.jpg
    407.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 408.jpg
    408.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 409.jpg
    409.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 44
Exotics

No kidding. Star-Man's photos bring me back to scenery in Eastern sub-equatorial Africa... dust and heat.

At least it's a dry heat... If it wasn't for Banjoboy, Titus58, palada and SRAD600 the 8/12 ride looked like an illegal dual-sport fest. I guess Dan and the MotoXotica guys didn't show with their Beta, VOR, GasGas, etc.

104_1060.jpg
1700247-mvc-024f.jpg
 
Last edited:
Great ride youse guys!... great meeting new folks and old friends...my liner notes below...will dig out the handful of photos and post shortly.


WOW! What a ride! Thanks everyone for making this my best b-day ride EVER!:party

You guys are a great bunch of fellas and great bunch of riders too. To go out and play in the dirt in that kind of heat takes a special sense of adventure fer shure.:thumbup
Greg
Happy B'day Greg...you rode that little KLX with style points!...and thanks for leading my thru the backroads from Cache creek to Benica...was still stinking hot but much nicer than 505 and 80 :teeth.

And ur right...we need a merit badge or patch or somethin' for doing that ride in the heat...maybe banjo boy can bring somtun' like his home brew (or home grown) for next time and we can :party under the shade tree by zero tun bridge :twofinger

Yup, good, hot, long ride. Thanks to those organizing, it was a nice romp in the dirt. Despite the 108 degree (indicated) temps as we were riding out.

Props to those of you riding the BIG street bikes out there, very cool. :cool

Good to see you out there bill...you've got some skills with that KTM.
Ditto Eldrick...good mtg ya....sweet 990! I'm happy to switch w/ya next time if ya want to try the big bestie vstrom in the dirt :rofl

verioBill said:
It was great to meet y'all....looking forward to the next one. Now if I can just push through this arm pump its time to go wake boarding!

Bill - KTM500EXC
Nice to meet you also Bill...sweet :thumbup wheelie you popped on Ray Roadhouse!...don't know if you made it wake boarding but I woulda just go and lay down in the lake after that freakin heat:twofinger


The ride today was a hoot! I could care less about the heat, it was much easier riding than pushing a bike through the OHV park :teeth. It was great meeting some new faces this week. I swear, all those orange bikes are cheater bikes! :twofinger
Hey James - great as always to ride with ya...ditto on not having to push anybikes this time round :thumbup I like ur DRZ...will be pinging you on the bike as it's on my list for a DS... and I know what ya mean about the KTM riders...they make it look too easy :twofinger


Great turnout, especially considering the heat. I had an absolute blast beating up Drew's old DR. I beat it up hard enough that it decided it needed a short nap at one point. Fortunately, I emerged unharmed and the bike was perfectly fine.
Next time, I will be trucking to the meetup spot (or maybe even Turtle Rock). 300+ miles on the little DR made for a long day (and a sore ass).

See you clowns next time! :cool
.

Hey Aaron, great to meet you in person...and thx for the efforts u and Greg put in on the ride...great ride and group of riders! And yeah, u rode that bike well:thumbup But ur right, u came a looong way on that little bike... Greg was looking beat (but still grinning:teeth) on the KLX by the time we reached Benica ~70 miles after the end of dirt...all u guys riding that far to/fro plus the long ride in the dirt/heat :wow - double merit badges dudes (and double beers at the end of the day) :twofinger


Rayhouse Rd is a bit of a challenge. It's twisty, badly rutted, rocky and stutter bumped.
This. No shit man :wtf...I was hanging on for dear life...multiple "aw shit" moments on that long descent into cache creek...especially after the fact we'd all ready ridden thru Knoxville in the dust and heat...

At one point on a steep downhill with loose dirt/rocks and ruts, the rider in front of me falls forcing me to brake as hard as conditions would allow all the time worrying if the rider behind me could stop in time before hitting me and the rider on the ground. Fortunately, the trailing rider decided to drop his bike instead of a$$ packing us. Now that's a true dirt buddy!

You are very welcome :twofinger Yeah quite a pucker moment, realizing we three are all too close in this steep section and no wheres to go...great job Greg stopping in time...my rear end was starting to step out anyways and it made it real easy...just whispered in my Beastie's ear and she laid over gentle on her side...no problem.


At least it's a dry heat... I'm currently in South-East Asia, just off the equator, monsoon season: Hot and Humid. I haven't seen anything bigger than 150cc 4-stroke over the past 2-days; lots of air-cooled 2-stroke, and horizontal 4-strokes on the streets.
Hah! I've been where u are as well Drew, but don't know which was worse yesterday, our dry heat was POWERFUL...felt tough to breath at times and very hard to get cool even in the shade...but I DO HATE humidity...so glad I'm not in SE asia...great asia pics by the way!

Oh and a double thanks to Paul and Aaron, for having the fixit-flat, and for Paul to notice it before we left starbucks...tires holding fine, just gotta get down to my mechanic...and my turn to pack it next time!

T
 
Happy birthday Gregg, great picz. :party (If'n I knew it wuz yer birthday, I woulda had God crank up the heat a little mor.) :devil
Yup, good, hot, long ride. Thanks to those organizing, it was a nice romp in the dirt. Despite the 108 degree (indicated) temps as we were riding out.

Props to those of you riding the BIG street bikes out there, that's pretty fucking stupid!. :loco

Good to see you out there bill...you've got some skills with that KTM.
Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya. :laughing

The ride today was a hoot! I could care less about the heat, it was much easier riding than pushing a bike through the OHV park :teeth. It was great meeting some new faces this week. I swear, all those orange bikes are cheater bikes! :twofinger
Hell, I figure anyone with more than 4.5" of travel, off road tires, on a bike weighing less than 450#s is cheat'in. :rofl
 
Happy birthday Gregg, great picz. :party

Hell, I figure anyone with more than 4.5" of travel, off road tires, on a bike weighing less than 450#s is cheat'in. :rofl

Yeah, Happy Birthday Greg! Nice of you to play photog on your special day. Agreed on the "cheating" criteria...therefore I was completely legal...:teeth

Eldrick, thanks for tagging along on the trip through Clearlake, then back down towards the Bay Area. Man that little DR does NOT like highway speeds. Good thing I'm super light or it would have been REALLY slow going.

No problem, it was a nice ride actually. Do you remember hearing someone beeping their horn at you as you approached Vallejo? That was me, I was on the overpass headed towards Marin (cooler air)...saw you looking all around, everywhere but up...:laughing

Ditto Eldrick...good mtg ya....sweet 990! I'm happy to switch w/ya next time if ya want to try the big bestie vstrom in the dirt :rofl
T

Good to meet you too. Humm...bigV in the dirt...sounds fun, as long as I don't have to pick her up. :p


Seavoyage - That pic with the kids boogieboarding behind the scooter...awesome! I grew up in the caribbean, so I know about humidity.
 
Last edited:
Sorry Drew, I am going to miss this one. I'll be on the Hawthorne rally this weekend. Have fun, stay safe, and stay hydrated.
 
Sorry I will miss this. I will be at the Hawthorne rally. Oct is iffy for me too. I should make it for the November ride. This looks like an epic ride.
 
Back
Top