• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

A few snipets from today's D/S ADV ride. Seavoyage (Drew) was unable to keep his ATK running at the meetup spot. So, he elected to go home. That left only 2 of us leaving Cordelia for Knoxville OHV. On the way, we came across VerioBill and 2 friends waiting for us by the side of Knoxville-Berryessa Rd. Once we got to the OHV area, we met up with 103Moto (Cameron) who had just ridden thru Knoxville OHV from the opposite direction. We only got a little bit past Lower Camp when Cameron pulled off the trail not feeling well enough to continue.

More to come later................
 

Attachments

  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 001.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 009.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 009.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 014.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 014.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 016.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 016.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 025.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 025.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I started feeling suddenly sick and weak, so I decided to turn back to avoid getting worse and being a burden to the group. The guy with the orange V-Strom (I'm forgetting his name right now) and I headed back out (he had to do something in Petaluma), and we ran into Cabrito and another KLR guy at the entry. I noticed one of you with the KTM at the northern entry as we went by, but the guy with the V-Strom didn't see you, so I kept following him and we took 29 back towards Sonoma County.

Glad you made it home. It's good to know your limits and listen to what your body tells you. It was freaking hot out there today.

And yes, the KLR's were representin'

IMG_0741.jpg
 
Hi,

I took the attached picture with my phone near the Zero Ton Bridge.

M.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20120909-00076.jpg
    IMG-20120909-00076.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 59
If you don't have a center stand; three tire irons is the way to go. Take little bites and go all the way around..

I think changing the tire often before it starts to stick to the rim is also a good idea. Don't let it sit on there for 6 months..

I want to go on this ride but I don't have anything worthy of riding in the dirt at the moment.. Next weekend I'll have the YZ450F. :teeth

C

That's the method I was using, work in a heartbeat on the front, the rear was an entirely different story. After 7k miles, that rear tire was holding onto the bead for dear life. :laughing

Anyway, glad you guys had fun out there.
 
The BARF ADV thread with the Highest number of views!

This thread has achieved the status of the BARF Adventure Riding thread receiving the highest number of views. The status was reached in 8-months :party Thanks all y'all

Special Thanks to StromRider for his post that motivated us to set up this ride:

Hello all BARFers, I need your advise.

Now that I have arrived at SF and the bay-area I am learning that there is so much nature and I am starting to think about switching from sport-bikes to dual-sport bikes, so I can enjoy both worlds :thumbup

Any recommendations ?

Thanks to undertheoaks for discovering and planning all the routes:
I will be starting in Cordelia meeting at the Starbucks there by the freeway, I will get the actual address and let you know. Heading out to Susuin Valley Rd to Lake Berreyessa/Knoxville Rd. Then on to Knoxville BLM OHV area and explore a little I've been there a few times but rode my dirt bike and off road only. Then after we get tired of dirt head back out to Knoxville rd that turns into Morgan Valley Rd then back down to Calistoga HWY 29 back home maybe lunch in Calistoga or St Helena ?

Possibly new route after Knoxville OHV then on to Lower Lake to refuel/lunch then back on Morgan Valley Rd to RD 40/Rayhouse Rd to HWY 16 then down past Cach Creek and back to HWY 505 then home a lot more dirt this way !!:teeth

Thanks to:

Just_Paul AKA Drgnkne and the Bay Area Adventure Riders Club on ADVrider
ban-AdvRider.gif
;

SFMCjohn and the San Francisco Motorcycle Club
Sfmcmainlogo.jpg
;

Stiffler and the Gold Country Dual Sport Riders
430262971
;

junglejim and the Hayward Motorcycle Club;

Doc Wong Riding Clinics
attachment.php
;

Special kudos for pushing the envelope and submitting 'proof of life' pics and vids to: olhogrider (Bonneville w/ windshield, saddlebags, and ME33s) :wtf, Energizer26 (V-Strom with passenger in the slick) :hail , Blue-8 (DR650), Mr. Junior (KLR650), Excite-Bike (DRZ400 w/ saddlebags) :deadhorse, Moto_103 (KLX250SM) :ride, jimboFosho (KLX650 and DRZ400 with massive fuel can) :thumbup, Star_Man (F650 with mags substituted for a KLR250):mstingray; Banjoboy (FZ6 dirt bike) :twofinger, DukeD & the 17" sumo crowd :shocker , and Bonerov (KDX200 unplated smoker):shame You guys own this ride!

and to every rider that joined us on this monthly event.

See you at 9AM on Sunday, October 14th.

402631101513151674405952034582-X2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Drew, I just got back from Hawthorne last night. What happened with the ATK?
 
:)
Drew, I just got back from Hawthorne last night. What happened with the ATK?

The ATK was running fine... warmed up 30-minutes before KSU, but right at KSU, I think the Decompression shaft stuck the exhaust valve in the open position = no compression.

I took the fuel tank off to access the cylinder head, disconnected the decompression cable from the lever, lubed the spring, and worked the decompression shaft through its full range of motion... then +Fuel/+Spark/+Compression and Timing = started right up.:thumbup

By then Greg and Mike had headed out to catch up with the sea of Kawi Green. Rather than become a liability, I called it a day... I should have brought the plated KDX200 for this ride. :ride

At least I spent Labor Day in Hollister, and all of Saturday in Carnegie riding with my kids... on Honda Pit Bikes, the KDX, and the Husaberg. :)
 
Last edited:
Bummer. At least you got it sorted. On a side note, I am SOOOOOO jealous of your plated KDX. So fricking cool. :cool
 
What started as 3 riders at the meetup location quickly became 2 riders. We picked up 3 more along the way and then another at Knoxville OHV. Then, lost 2 early on in Knoxville. 4 of us made it out to the paved road to start the next part of the route, Rayhouse Rd.
 

Attachments

  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 052.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 052.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 046.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 046.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 041.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 041.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 040.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 040.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 036.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 036.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 47
Rayhouse is what's left of what once was a pretty good public, graded dirt road. It's technically CLOSED. It has NOT been maintained in years. It's rutted, rocky, and washed out in lots of places. Lots of fun, really. But a slow go. The photos don't do it justice. It's desolate out there. No cell phone coverage. But some awesome scenery.
 

Attachments

  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 080.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 080.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 069.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 069.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 059.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 059.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 057.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 057.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 055.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 055.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
I stopped at a high point to wait for Mike to show up. Mike was a real trooper. He's fairly new to motorcycling and he's riding a Kawi 250 sumo with street tires. He's got to have his hands full at this point and it's getting hot. Finally, he shows up and we carefully make our way down the trail and over the ZERO TON bridge at Cache Creek. There we regroup and decide what to do next. Veriobill and his buddy have enough fuel to go back the way they came in. Mike and I don't. Out of nowhere, Cabrito shows up with another rider. Both are on KLR's. They had been running behind us all day and finally caught us at the bridge. Dunno what they did..... I had to boogey. I had a full day of house chores waiting for me to do back home.
 

Attachments

  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 071.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 071.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 072.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 072.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 079.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 079.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 098.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 098.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 107.jpg
    Sept.9th Dual Sport Ride 107.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 56
Out of nowhere, Cabrito shows up with another rider. Both are on KLR's. They had been running behind us all day and finally caught us at the bridge. Dunno what they did.....

We went home via Clear Lake. It was a nice ride. Totaled about 250 miles for the day.

I fall down go and go boom going around a turn when my front end washed out. Glad I was wearing my armor. It's towards the end of the video.

Here's the video I threw together (including misspelled words)



By the way, who was the hooligan doing doughnuts on the bridge? See the video for evidence you left behind..

Zero Ton Bridge - What's up with the mini Mt. Rushmore in the background?
IMG_0739.jpg


Spot Messenger snapshot.
SundayTrackssept92012.jpg




--------------
 
Last edited:
hooligans on the bridge... Who did that?

Snapshot000008.png
 
I am super interested in doing this ride, I'm just slightly concerned because I am new to the dirt thing. I picked up a bmw g 650 x challenge and have been messing around on roads like buzzards in the SC mountains and have been doing ok. I know I would need to bring extra gas, and am curious how doable this will be without a gps.
 
I am super interested in doing this ride, I'm just slightly concerned because I am new to the dirt thing. I picked up a bmw g 650 x challenge and have been messing around on roads like buzzards in the SC mountains and have been doing ok. I know I would need to bring extra gas, and am curious how doable this will be without a gps.

You'll be fine. Come on out and play. :thumbup
 
Will see what I can do... just need to get a gal or 1.5 gal tank so I can actually make it thru... damn short range on this one :(
 
Will see what I can do... just need to get a gal or 1.5 gal tank so I can actually make it thru... damn short range on this one :(

Always a good idea to have extra fuel along. Worst case, bring some tubing and be REALLY nice to one of the folks on the big ADV bikes. :teeth
 
Back
Top