• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

FWIW, I keep a piece of tubing in my handlebar. It's long enough to siphon out of a larger tank into a small bottle or directly into another tank :thumbup
 
I am running Distanzia Avon Rain Front and Dual Sport Rear 17s on my DRZ ... Usually i run 24-25f/28-29r during these colder months. What pressure would you recommend for the dirt section?
 
I would just leave the pressure as is unless you want to pump them back up before heading back on the street. Also, so far every dirt ride I've taken the 17s on resulted in bent rims.
 
Now now.... a fast racer guy like you surely isn't concerned over a couple dings in the rim are you?
We'll fix them with a wood block and rubber mallet but if you are concerned just keep the pressures higher and have fun sliding :laughing
 
What's the terrain at Frank Raines like compared to the Knoxville loop? Big bike friendly?
 
What's the terrain at Frank Raines like compared to the Knoxville loop? Big bike friendly?

The terrain is much like Carnagie just a little smaller, theres a couple loops you can take when you get there with some nice views but the ride there on Mines road...priceless!!:teeth
 
It's forecast to be 28 degrees here on Saturday night. That's only 1 degree warmer than last month.

IF I come, it's gonna be with the bike in the back of the truck. I'm not riding from sunrise to after sunset freezing my ass off the whole way again.
 
It's forecast to be 28 degrees here on Saturday night. That's only 1 degree warmer than last month.

IF I come, it's gonna be with the bike in the back of the truck. I'm not riding from sunrise to after sunset freezing my ass off the whole way again.

Doesn't that touring bike on your avatar photo have hand warmers?
 
Sure it does (as does my KTM). But it doesn't have knobbies.

Wait a sec, you had heated grips on the 640!? Although the night temps are in the 30s this weekend, the day temps are high 50s. I'm hoping the day progressively gets warmer rather than cooler as last time.

I'm looking forward to some downhill practice so I don't embarrass myself dog walking the bike down the hill.
 
Wait a sec, you had heated grips on the 640!? Although the night temps are in the 30s this weekend, the day temps are high 50s. I'm hoping the day progressively gets warmer rather than cooler as last time.

I'm looking forward to some downhill practice so I don't embarrass myself dog walking the bike down the hill.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

They're great for cold. Not so great for freezing. And fan-freaking-tastic on cool mornings that will turn into a warm day and you only want to bring along one pair of light/ventilated gloves.

PS: don't get a kit with a resistor from some other manufacturer, they use the same amount of power on hi and lo, and the resistor gets really hot- wasting energy and heating up all your wires.
 
I am not going to be able to make it on this ride. Bummer for me. Have fun and be safe, folks.
 
Frank Raines terrain

What's the terrain at Frank Raines like compared to the Knoxville loop? Big bike friendly?

The terrain is much like Carnagie just a little smaller, theres a couple loops you can take when you get there with some nice views but the ride there on Mines road...priceless!!:teeth

Here's photos and RR courtesy of WC:

Exactly. It really reminds me of what Carnegie looked like 25 years ago. In fact, this is what the sign looked like when I was out there on the 610 last April...
file_zpsfb61d427.jpg

I like the part about no hiking :p

Lots of elevation change. It's the place to be if you like hill climbs. There are some easy trails/roads, but a lot of stuff is kind of "out-of-bounds" which is cool if you're on a regular dirt bike and/or have skills. Here are some photos I took that day that will kind of give you an idea of what it looks like. I was on my SM610 with streety tires, Eric on his TE610 with dualsporty Scorpions and Mark on his brand new TE310 with Metzeler Karoo's, I thnk...

file_zps620e1f19.jpg


file_zpsb126b404.jpg


file_zps504f6347.jpg


file_zps23a6870a.jpg


file_zps9613a744.jpg


file_zpse6a22e7a.jpg


file_zps29ed1f46.jpg


file_zpsb5b78e6e.jpg


file_zps6d2e7bce.jpg


file_zpsd2471685.jpg



We weren't there very long, it's kinda small, but we had a great time...
file_zpsb15ef7a4.jpg


We scrubbed all the dirt off on Del Puerto, one of my very favorite roads...
file_zpsea1de2d8.jpg


Took backroads down into Mercey Hot Springs for a swim and a soak...
file_zps84100aeb.jpg



Then took Panoche Rd home...
file_zpsff44b525.jpg


There ya go! A mini ride report :laughing

Frank Raines is really fun if incorporated into a full day of riding on some of the coolest backroads in the area.


WoodsChick
 
Last edited:
If it's anything like Carnegie when it rains...whoa, could be interesting for me on street tires.
 
Will anyobody be heading out there from SF?

I'm heading out from SF. Thinking about doing the whole ride and meeting up at the first meeting place.

This is my first dirt ride in 10 years and my first ride on the '09 KLR-650 I just picked up last month. Spent a month wrenching on it getting skid plate, crash bars, handguards, pegs, gps hardwired and getting myself setup with gear. After much tinkering, dremeling and swearing I think it's dirt ready. Really looking forward to tomorrow. Was the small amount of rain yesterday enough to cancel it?

Cheers,
Zaph
 
Back
Top