• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Bill (black DRZ) caught up to us after you left. I had a terrific time. I want to do this again...lets hope the weather holds up next month!

Here is the only pic I got:
1800446_10152396516862109_4730978758828753660_n.jpg
 
I looks like next months ride will be on Dec. 14th. Anyone want to go and add in road 41?
I did it last time with a couple of guy's and had a great time. We ended up in Arbuckle had some great Mexican food and gassed up then headed back.

Road 41 is just south from where we come out on Hwy 16 in Rumsey then heads east.
 
But that's just YOUR bike :teeth

Yes, sorry, I was having too much fun to take pics. There should be others posted soon. How was the unimaginably named Road 41? Was the gate open?
 
Yes, sorry, I was having too much fun to take pics. There should be others posted soon. How was the unimaginably named Road 41? Was the gate open?

It was open the last time I was there. That was back in August.
It was a blast. Was able to get my bike up to 74 MPH (Gravel road).:afm199
 
It was open the last time I was there. That was back in August.
It was a blast. Was able to get my bike up to 74 MPH (Gravel road).:afm199

Ladder rode it today.
 
How much of the ride was paved vs unpaved?

Another question is what are the fastest parts? I have my bike geared pretty low, can't really do 55 for more than 10 minutes. Is that ok or do I need to gear higher?
 
Last edited:
Great riding with you all you BARFers today. :) On the way back, Brian and I headed up on the ridge to take in the view. Here is a panorama of the WR's in their native habitat:
 

Attachments

  • barf.jpg
    barf.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 53
How much of the ride was paved vs unpaved?

Another question is what are the fastest parts? I have my bike geared pretty low, can't really do 55 for more than 10 minutes. Is that ok or do I need to gear higher?

I wasn't on this last ride, but have done this one a number of times. If you are coming from Alameda, you will either have to ride on I-80 or truck to the meetup spot. From the meetup spot (Cordelia *$) the first bit is all paved, though the last 15 miles or so before you get to the entrance to Knoxville OHV is narrow and goaty (and FUN).

If you ride from the meetup point to the zero-ton bridge and back, I would say that it is roughly 80% paved, from a distance standpoint. Time-wise, I would say that you will spend roughly 50-60% of your time on tarmac.

Keep in mind that another option is to truck your bike to the Knoxville OHV area (there is parking less than a mile into the area) and ride from there. You could even play in the dirt until folks arrive, then ride with them for the rest of the ride.

Hope this helps.
 
Good riding with you guys... and gal, yesterday. Turned into an "adventure" as the day went on....

This part reminded me of when we were kids, riding through construction sites... :laughing





Great Indian Summer day and country to ride in...





It's good riding with friends who have a Rotopax... Thanks Mark... :thumbup



Running out of gas in the middle of Knoxville Rd late on Sunday afternoon... :wtf ... led to a serendipitious meeting with John and his wife (can't remember her name). Both were extremely friendly and helpful. John works the Knoxville Wildlife Area for the Dept of Fish and Wildlife. In addition to the fuel we got a tour of the kiva. The PO built the kiva as a hunting lodge. Sadly it isn't being used. More info here:

https://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/articles/knoxville01.html









Had a great time.... hope to see you all in December,

Brian
 
Was he lost or just didn't have any water?
 
I wasn't on this last ride, but have done this one a number of times. If you are coming from Alameda, you will either have to ride on I-80 or truck to the meetup spot. From the meetup spot (Cordelia *$) the first bit is all paved, though the last 15 miles or so before you get to the entrance to Knoxville OHV is narrow and goaty (and FUN).

If you ride from the meetup point to the zero-ton bridge and back, I would say that it is roughly 80% paved, from a distance standpoint. Time-wise, I would say that you will spend roughly 50-60% of your time on tarmac.

Keep in mind that another option is to truck your bike to the Knoxville OHV area (there is parking less than a mile into the area) and ride from there. You could even play in the dirt until folks arrive, then ride with them for the rest of the ride.

Hope this helps.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info. What kinds of speeds are done on the paved sections? If doing this ride I'd definitely be trucking the bike up to the meeting point, though trucking it all the way to Knoxville seems to me to means I've actually missed most of the "ride" :)
 
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info. What kinds of speeds are done on the paved sections? If doing this ride I'd definitely be trucking the bike up to the meeting point, though trucking it all the way to Knoxville seems to me to means I've actually missed most of the "ride" :)

I rode the XT all the way and kept it under 60mph, indicated, which is about 55mph, actual. It is pretty twisty so even when the big bikes walked away on the straighaways, I caught up in the twisties. You can definitely trailer up there, but the road is in worse shape than the road we took up to Stonyford.
 
It might make sense to trailer up to Turtle Rock and ride from there. The roads aren't all that interesting prior to that point anyway. Lots of options, for sure. I've done the ride in the past on an XT225, riding round trip from Pacifica. It wasn't ideal, but worked fine. I've also ridden the entire route from the meetup point and back on my old plated two-stroke. Again, not ideal, but perfectly doable.
 
Looking forward to next months ride. Where was that road construction at? Looks fun.
 
Back
Top