• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

First off, I have to thank everyone. You guys are the shit!!! I'd be twice as sore if it wasn't for some of you guys!

Although my ride ended quickly today, I have to say I had a blast. It was an adventure for me, so I guess I achieved my goal for the trip.

I really wanted to spend the day getting practice on the trails with the panniers loaded up. I seem to have gotten more practice than I asked for though. Started with a uphill lay down, nothing much, but it was a pain to upright. Then I decided I needed practice at water crossings...

I was a champ!! The first two times... Then... I wasn't such a champ. I kinda turned into a stressed out frantic mess, its easy to do when your bike dives into a mud puddle up to the headlamp. Rocking with full throttle almost got me out, till I stepped down and ended up at my knees desperately trying to keep the motor out of the water, which I was unsuccessful at doing. Dropped it on the left and it died in the water! FUCK!!

Kick start jammed, no luck with multiple bump starts in different gears...

Smokey's side of the trail repair shop is open for business. Went through all kinds of different things, wouldn't even kick with the decomp lever engaged. WTF? Even a wrench on the crank wouldn't get it to budge. Piston = froze.

I was more than happy with the offer of a ride to livermore, but I needed to get home and have a fucking beer after dealing with this. I pulled out my spinach and torqued the crank, to my surprise, it breaks free! We run it out a bit, and I topped off with some 2smoke mix to lube the cylinder.

Now I'm sitting here with my beer laughing it all off. I'm happy because A) I had my worst nightmare happen and B) I tackled it. Today I learned a valuable lesson, Don't ride through brown water. Its not a water crossing, its a fucking sink pit.

And I met some cool dudes!
 
Awesome day out there guys, I know Drew and I drove but it was still fun riding with you all. Great workout picking up those 500lb dirtbikes :rofl:twofinger And awesome single track out there if you know where to find it. Look forward to the Middle Creek ride soon in March or April.:thumbup
 
Well that was EPIC! I had a ton of fun. Thanks for organizing this guys. And thanks for everyone who helped pick my bike back up!

Even taking it easy with Smokey through Mt. Hamilton on the way home was a blast. We were taking it easy, right? I thought we agreed on that but then I am confused as to why my pegs and boots are worn down! Btw, did you not see that cop when I slowed and you flew by me on the inside?

Cheers,
Zaph

P.S. Thanks to Sharky for the nickname for my bike..."Battle Wagon". Love it!
 
First off, I have to thank everyone. You guys are the shit!!! I'd be twice as sore if it wasn't for some of you guys!

Although my ride ended quickly today, I have to say I had a blast. It was an adventure for me, so I guess I achieved my goal for the trip.

I really wanted to spend the day getting practice on the trails with the panniers loaded up. I seem to have gotten more practice than I asked for though. Started with a uphill lay down, nothing much, but it was a pain to upright. Then I decided I needed practice at water crossings...

I was a champ!! The first two times... Then... I wasn't such a champ. I kinda turned into a stressed out frantic mess, its easy to do when your bike dives into a mud puddle up to the headlamp. Rocking with full throttle almost got me out, till I stepped down and ended up at my knees desperately trying to keep the motor out of the water, which I was unsuccessful at doing. Dropped it on the left and it died in the water! FUCK!!

Kick start jammed, no luck with multiple bump starts in different gears...

Smokey's side of the trail repair shop is open for business. Went through all kinds of different things, wouldn't even kick with the decomp lever engaged. WTF? Even a wrench on the crank wouldn't get it to budge. Piston = froze.

I was more than happy with the offer of a ride to livermore, but I needed to get home and have a fucking beer after dealing with this. I pulled out my spinach and torqued the crank, to my surprise, it breaks free! We run it out a bit, and I topped off with some 2smoke mix to lube the cylinder.

Now I'm sitting here with my beer laughing it all off. I'm happy because A) I had my worst nightmare happen and B) I tackled it. Today I learned a valuable lesson, Don't ride through brown water. Its not a water crossing, its a fucking sink pit.

And I met some cool dudes!
Good to hear you got it sorted.
 
Great folks and great day:thumbup...almost froze on the way to libmo, but after that temps warmed nicely...and mines rd was awesome that time of day and not too dirty. Frank Raines was a challenge on the big bike :twofinger but I had a blast...look forward to doing it again...and the ride home over mt hammy was great...what a beautiful day to be out riding:thumbup

Smokey - that was a great sound to hear your bike running again :thumbup

Sid and Leo - thx for the help in getting the vstrom rightside up :teeth...looking forward to trying that rocky wash again with better tires and remembering to look ahead instead of at my front wheel :mad :rofl

I will post up pics shortly.


T
 
Last edited:
Well that was EPIC! I had a ton of fun. Thanks for organizing this guys. And thanks for everyone who helped pick my bike back up!

Even taking it easy with Smokey through Mt. Hamilton on the way home was a blast. We were taking it easy, right? I thought we agreed on that but then I am confused as to why my pegs and boots are worn down! Btw, did you not see that cop when I slowed and you flew by me on the inside?

Cheers,
Zaph

P.S. Thanks to Sharky for the nickname for my bike..."Battle Wagon". Love it!

Oh yeah, I was good with the pace. I thought I was going too fast for you at first.

I did the whole trip back with my rear brake not engaging. I didn't put enough tension on the line to the drum when I was putting it all back together. I was having a hard time just downshifting and using my front. When the cop was in the road I was just trying to stop! My throttle cable not returning wasn't helping either.

But I'm home, the bike is home. I'm calling it a good day. Great day...
 
Last edited:
Oh yeah, I was good with the pace. I thought I was going too fast for you at first.

I did the whole trip back with my rear brake not engaging. I didn't put enough tension on the line to the drum when I was putting it all back together. I was having a hard time just downshifting and using my front. When the cop was in the road I was just trying to stop! My throttle cable not returning wasn't helping either.

But I'm home, the bike is home. I'm calling it a good day. Great day...

So much for taking it easy on her on the way home Smokey, glad you made it. And a ride home or close to home for a broken down comrade is available anytime. Hope to see you again soon. Tim your bike is light !:rofl
 
Good times. Good pics.

https://plus.google.com/photos/110060249407768005055/albums/5843639263987436497

IMG_2014.JPG
 
Sunny
32.png


60°F High

Photos courtesy of Excite-Bike:

@ 1st meetup point. Wasn't too chilly of a ride. -Zaph
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG


Tools - Bring them! Thanks to Zaphod for lending me a pair of needle nose pliers to remove shrapnel out of Leo_jb's face. In hindsight, his Leatherman was much more fitting for the occasion. Leo_jb is a bleeder! and I didn't bring my tampon.

IMG_1973.JPG


on my Super Tenere! :ride
ridersblock forgot to turn off his ABS for the trip back downhill :wow That must have been an interesting experience.

IMG_1981.JPG


IMG_1983.JPG


Great workout picking up those 500lb dirtbikes :rofl:twofinger

IMG_1993.JPG


IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG


IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG


Then I decided I needed practice at water crossings...

I was a champ!! The first two times... Then... I wasn't such a champ. I kinda turned into a stressed out frantic mess, its easy to do when your bike dives into a mud puddle up to the headlamp. Rocking with full throttle almost got me out, till I stepped down and ended up at my knees desperately trying to keep the motor out of the water, which I was unsuccessful at doing. Dropped it on the left and it died in the water! FUCK!!

Today I learned a valuable lesson, Don't ride through brown water. Its not a water crossing, its a fucking sink pit.
@ Smokey94086 thanks for providing the bike CPR certification course.

IMG_1997.JPG


IMG_1998.JPG


2pm today, sun Feb 10, 3.5 miles east of the junction.

Sheriff was on scene when I came through, rider was on his back but appeared alert and animated...but I saw lifeflight helicopter circling...maybe SOP for accidents out in the boonies? Fellow rider and sport bike were standing nearby...but no victim's bike...am wondering if he lowsided and bike continued over shoulder and down ravine. T
A few of us were still at Frank Raines when all the vehicles showed up and asked us to move. They needed to clear room for the helo to land, which never happened. Hope the rider was ok. I didn't notice any bikes, or tow trucks on the way home.
IMG_2051.JPG


So much for taking it easy on her on the way home Smokey, glad you made it. And a ride home or close to home for a broken down comrade is available anytime. Hope to see you again soon. Tim your bike is light !:rofl
 
Last edited:
Looks like I missed out on a great ride. I had to drive to Sonora to p/u 2 rim assys. for my klr so I can ride on ROUND, not SQUARE rims.
 
Looks like an amazing time!
Almost sounds like Smokey's bike hydrolocked :wtf
 
Looks like an amazing time!
Almost sounds like Smokey's bike hydrolocked :wtf

Yeah that's what we thought too but when we pulled the plug it was dry and we still could not get the kickstarter lever to move. Smokey eventually figured it was the starter that was stuck that must have locked the whole motor since we tried to bump start it and the rear wheel would just lock up even in higher gears.

Great time nonetheless with no casualties besides a little paint, a mirror, and some plastic but hey, like Drew's avatar says, it ain't an adventure until something goes wrong. :party

In Patterson we saw the Curve Unit ride, there must have been over 50 of youses, sorry to see the chase vehicles picking up bikes but glad to see no ambulances.

So where to next month fellows?
 
Hahaha, Thanks for the pic of me mud wrastlin!!

sid- we were easy on it for a good while, no worries. She will get a 1mm over treatment soon enough.

So yep, like dean said, Where to next?
 
In two words if i have to express my experience, RAW FUN !

What a day it was, I am amazed how i performed on the 17s. I never had so much fun on the DRZ before.

Sorry, i cannot put your names to faces, but Thank You ! very much to whoever rode my bike down that steep hill and the other person in Red Suit. No way i was rolling down that hill. That was a steep climb for me to attempt for the first time. I almost made it, then my bike shut off.

Thanks again, to the 2-stroke individual who led us on couple of begineer hill climbs, that gained me confidence. I rode some tracks by myself and i am super stoked to join back.

Tim - you are a mad man (pun intended) ! Seriously, that litre Vstorm up that steep hill? :hail

Dean - Thanks for the confidence and not let my day go to waste. Riding supermoto with you on asphalt gives me grin end to end. Mines & Del Puerto was my first time and sometimes i wished i had more power & torque.

Here are some pics shot at the base, i have some videos to upload as well.

IMG_1451.jpg


IMG_1450.jpg


IMG_1449.jpg


IMG_1452.jpg


IMG_1455.jpg
 
Last edited:
Tim - you are a mad man (pun intended) ! Seriously, that litre Vstorm up that steep hill? :hail
Thanks Abhijit :twofinger...great to meet you and ride with you...yeah I'm getting pretty good at the uphills on the strom but it's the downhills that bite cha...I binned it coming down the other side of that hill :rolleyes I'm saving my pennies to get a bike like your DRZ...much easier to pickup when u go down...:p

Looking forward to the next ride as well. Pictures below

IMG_0417.JPG

Great turn out - lots of bikes

IMG_0418.JPG

Good mix of bike sizes and experience levels

IMG_0419.JPG

The mountain awaits...easy peasy...:rofl

IMG_0422.JPG

After miss-starts on the hard stuff, we find the fire road and rip up to the top

IMG_0421.JPG

view from the top

IMG_0423.JPG

Self-potrait


IMG_0427.JPG

Mt Hammy...sun's starting to dip

IMG_0430.JPG

More mt hammy...getting chilly in the shadows

IMG_0428.JPG

Dinner :twofinger I wish...:teeth

IMG_0431.JPG

Looking East fr Hammy...somewhere's back there is Del Pueblo and Frank Raines :thumbup


IMG_0432.JPG

Last of Mt Hammy views - what a gorgeous day to be out :thumbup


T
 
SUN 3/10 ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Y'All,

So where to next month fellows?

If Reiff Rd is open (prior to 3/10) then it's back to the Knoxville ride!

See OP from 3/2012: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394532

Posted by rodr on 3/10 last year:
Banjoboy and I did a bit of reconnaissance today.

The good news is, the gate's open.

DSC04814.JPG


Not so good, some of the road after the gate is really gnarly. Big rocks, ruts, some steep sections. As an inexperienced dirt rider I really shouldn't have been on it and did have a get-off. I'm pretty sure that riding it with any sort of water on the ground would be a bad idea.

Just consider this a PSA. Y'all have a great ride!

Sincerely,

the 2-stroke individual
 
Planning on riding 2/19 Tuesday fire roads etc from Foresthill probably big bike friendly dirt. Terry and me, the follower. Itinerary to be determined @ start and during ride. Will meet in town of Foresthill 9:30 am on frontage road on right. If snow and or rain will bag it and post. Eat a big breakfast!
 
Gate was closed on Reiff today.

Took a little ride out to see if the gate was open. It wasn't.
IMG_1023_zps62d018fd.jpg


On the way out we saw three bikes going in. One was a big KTM Adventure. I was wondering if they were BARFers.

We made a nice loop back by going through Clear Lake and into Middletown where we took Western Mines / Ida Clayton back to 128.

Map link while its working
http://whereamiriding.com/gpsfiles/map/trip_tracker2.php?username=Cabrito&user_key=12345


ridemapfeb142013_zpsf29e3276.jpg
 
Last edited:
Can't do Sundays, wish it was on Saturdays.
Looks like everyone had a great time!
 
Back
Top