• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Cabin cruiser, get yourself a Clymer's manual and go for it! The 650 is a very basic design that hasn't changed in years. Any questions, pm me. Or, better yet, if You aren't going to fix it, I would be interested in it IF you haven't been running it after it shelled out the gear.

I'll second this. I've had my XR650L motor apart about four times now (down to the crank) and it's a very similar motor. A tranny gear replacement isn't difficult. Forget the clymer and get yourself a proper suzuki shop manual, and as long as you follow the directions, it's fairly simple. The first time I did this I had help/ someone coaching and that made all the difference.

My 0.02, if you do this, just shell out for the special tools ahead of time, they save sooo much time in the end it's not even funny.

G'luck.:thumbup
 
Great ride today!

Eric, Lucas, Brian: great riding with you today! :thumbup

Excellent weather, light traffic north of the lake, and no locked gates!
 

Attachments

  • FILE0966.jpg
    FILE0966.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79
Eric, Lucas, Brian: great riding with you today! :thumbup

Excellent weather, light traffic north of the lake, and no locked gates!

Hells yeah, good times.

By the way, forgot to rotate the lens so all the footage I took with the Contour was at a 90 degree angle. :mad But it looks like I'll be busy at work tomorrow... :teeth









 
Last edited:
I wish I saw this thread before I sold KLR. :cry
Just rode Knoxville road for the first time yesterday. Will my new Tiger 800 Roadie with stock Scorpions do OK on dirt? Or do I need to get second, more aggressive set of tires? Also I just installed Leo Vince pipe on so it doesn't have spark arrestor but it does have catalytic converter. I want to join you guys for the next month
 
Last edited:
Sorry missed the ride fellas it looks like it was fun.
 
Eric, Lucas, Brian: great riding with you today! :thumbup

Excellent weather, light traffic north of the lake, and no locked gates!

Yep, good times. Great to ride with you all. The best way to learn, is to do! Temps were just right with my vented gear. If it was any hotter though I would have had to jump in the river. :teeth

It would have been great if me and Paul didnt run into that ass-hat on a sportbike crowding us in our lane and doing wheelies across the double yellows to pass people along Lake Berryessa. Hope he's not a BARFer. :twofinger


IMAG0100.jpg


IMAG0102.jpg


IMAG0103.jpg


IMAG0104.jpg


IMAG0106.jpg


IMAG0109.jpg


IMAG0117.jpg


IMAG0118.jpg


IMAG0122.jpg


IMAG0123.jpg


IMAG0124.jpg
 
Sweet shots! It does look a bit drier out there now than it was in April for sure.

Eric, it looks like you are gettin' the hang of this BARF thing just dandy...

:)
 
I wish I saw this thread before I sold KLR. :cry
Just rode Knoxville road for the first time yesterday. Will my new Tiger 800 Roadie with stock Scorpions do OK on dirt? Or do I need to get second, more aggressive set of tires? Also I just installed Leo Vince pipe on so it doesn't have spark arrestor but it does have catalytic converter. I want to join you guys for the next month

I did this ride on my 1200GS last year with Metzeler Tourance tires. Worked ok, but I decided not to push my luck again. 600-700 pounds are a lot on the rocky dirt roads to keep up in Knoxville. :laughing
 
pics

Hey guys,

I had a bunch of fun riding with you guys, even if it didn't always look like it. :laughing

Definitely need to wear a less loud jersey tho next time, can't have the slowest guy in the group trying to look so fast.






Jerky, boys?




Everyone else headed back on dirt, I wussed out.


Almost jumped in..


Hitch a ride?


Slab of catfish.. perfect!
 
Last edited:
I wish I saw this thread before I sold KLR. :cry
Just rode Knoxville road for the first time yesterday. Will my new Tiger 800 Roadie with stock Scorpions do OK on dirt? Or do I need to get second, more aggressive set of tires? Also I just installed Leo Vince pipe on so it doesn't have spark arrestor but it does have catalytic converter. I want to join you guys for the next month

My KTM came stock with Scorpions.. the front is not so awesome on loose surfaces. I now run TKC 80 on front and the stock (new) Scorpion on rear. Its much better overall if you're going to do more dirt... but the rear was still sliding alot on the steeper/looser downhill parts of Reyhouse. You really have to trust your front.

Any which way it'll be quite a bit of work. :teeth
 
I did this ride on my 1200GS last year with Metzeler Tourance tires. Worked ok, but I decided not to push my luck again. 600-700 pounds are a lot on the rocky dirt roads to keep up in Knoxville. :laughing

The Metzeler Tourance came stock with my Super Tenere. They worked fine, with no issues through Knoxville and I didn't air down or turn off my ABS. I just put on a pair of the Michelin Anakee 3s, but have not tested them on the dirt yet. I like them for the street so far, I'll have to see how long they last. See you guys on the next ride! :ride
 
Ordered new tires and changing equipment. :D

Let's ride!
 
Ok 10 am Wed. 6/19/13 meet @ Bassetts Station, Sierra City, CA hwy 49 & gold lake rd; ride the area probably to Downieville, will decide route as we go. So far me and Terry anybody welcome, dual sport mostly dirt I think. Let me know we’ll look for you

Bruno
 
Drew

Ok call me 925 837 4261

Walnut creek on my way up. to get there by10 would eed to be at your place be at your place 6 15 need address etc

will post given my doubts re messages I thought I sent

Bruno
 
Plenty of naps were taken today. Damn bikes are lazy!

1017270_10200937981959261_945111269_n.jpg
 
First downhill on Rieff road is all kind of fucked up. :laughing
 
Perhaps those street bias tires aren't the best for a 500lb dirt bike?
 
Perhaps those street bias tires aren't the best for a 500lb dirt bike?

No argument here. :laughing
But considering that two more bikes with dirt bias tires went down in the same area, I still say that that road is fucked up.
But so much fun
 
Been down that way before on a slightly lighter bike with better tires. Lots of marbles and grapefruit sized rocks to slip around on.
 
Back
Top