• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

ADV/DS ride Lake Berryessa/Knoxville OHV/Rayhouse Rd.

Good ride Thanks for letting me join you and talking to me; good people I remember all their names: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, Prince charming and Snow White.
 
^^^ Fuck.
Yeah, we had a rider down on our 2nd Sunday ADV/DS ride today. :(

Chris (CWH) collided head-on with a truck on the single-lane section of Knoxville-Berryessa Road about 6.5 miles north of the Eticuera Creek meetup point. Thank goodness it appears his injuries are minor - looked like it was collarbone-related, he was conscious and engaging the whole time. I will share the basic details, but I ask that we not speculate what happened, and wait until Chris can update us in person.

Collision occurred around a corner, width of the road there is maybe one lane and change, with crowning and poor over all road condition in a wooded section. The oncoming truck was completely in the middle of the road; you could see Chris impacted the rigth side (driver's side) of the front of the car, with a secondary impact onto the windshield. So Chris was on his side of the center of the road. Was a lot of traffic today on this section - lots of hunters, more than any of us have seen before, but we had not yet encountered the traffic when the accident occurred. Good news is that goaty narrow section does not allow for much speed for either bikes or cars - I have to believe this was beneficial in limiting the extent of injuries.

Thanks to all the folks who helped out, especially Paul (Palada) who waited with Chris and others, and took charge of the situation. Sheriff and then EMS/CHP were on scene pretty quickly, and Chris was taken for treatment and bike/truck towed.

For those of you who took pictures of the accident scene, please click here to PM Chris your email/contact info/link to pictures - I know he will want them when he is feeling better.

We did meet up with some new riders from the Eticuera stop - welcome guys! - but never found the Knoxville folks (lunchbox, Rebekha, sfcootz, etc,) and our riding group then ended up all separated. I rode with the big bikes through Knoxville - good riding with you Marc, Craig, Jeff, and Chris:thumbup, and we lost our sweep :mad but then he found us :thumbup - and I've done the same thing there :p - but by the time we got to the North Entrance it was 1:30pm and we all decided it was too warm and late in the day to start on Rieff, and instead headed back via Morgan Valley/Knoxville-Berryessa Rd. And I know my heart wasn't in it at that point. I hope the earlier groups had a good ride up Rieff-Rayhouse and into Cache Creek and that Paul you caught up to them.

If anyone has Chris' contact info please PM me so I can get in touch with him.

Chris - Heal up bud :thumbup - I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers your way:thumbup:thumbup. I have a car+trailer - let me know if you need any help picking up your bike or anything else...we are all really bummed, glad it looks like you will be okay, and here to help - just say the word:thumbup

Be safe everyone.


Tim
 
Yup, one of us. A pickup was on the wrong side/middle of the road around a curve, and took out Chris. Fractured his leg and shoulder, and dislocated the shoulder. The trooper that called me later said he seems to be otherwise OK.
Damn - leg too :mad Thanks for the update Paul.


T
 
Good ride Thanks for letting me join you and talking to me; good people I remember all their names: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey, Prince charming and Snow White.

Good to see you to Bruno :thumbup
Interested in riding the Ride Reno 200? - Sept 13-15 out of Boomtown. See the thread started by Ironbutt.

- Prince Charming :twofinger
 
He in the hospital?
That's my understanding.

Yup, one of us. A pickup was on the wrong side/middle of the road around a curve, and took out Chris. Fractured his leg and shoulder, and dislocated the shoulder. The trooper that called me later said he seems to be otherwise OK.
Paul - did the trooper say which hospital they took him to?


T
 
I didn't think to ask which hospital.

@ Tim: I PM'd you Chris' cell number.
 
Hope everyone else made it back safely.

Hey I have the GPX file of the ride today. Can I upload it here?

Thanks Guy's great ride today and it was nice meeting all the new faces. See ya again!

Our mileage total for today was 228...
Yeah!
 
Last edited:
Heal up Chris so you can make the next ride. :thumbup
I didn't think to ask which hospital.

@ Tim: I PM'd you Chris' cell number.
GG-H30 LEFT SCENE 5 AGO ENRT QUEEN OF THE VALLEY
Queens Valley is in Napa, and H30 is the chp bird that took him there.
 
He in the hospital?

The CHP incident reoort states Chris was transported to Queen of the Valley Medical Center; I don't know how accurate this is.
 
Last edited:
Knoxville-Berryessa Rd was extremely treacherous today. Never in the 20 years that I've been riding that road have I seen that much traffic or that many hunters. After leaving the accident scene, we must have passed 5 other speeding yahoos in their p/u trucks going the opposite direction and taking up most of the narrow road.

My thoughts go out to Chris and hope that he's receiving proper care and that he heals up quickly and completely.
 
Hopefully this one worked..

picture.php


picture.php


picture.php


picture.php


picture.php
 
Knoxville-Berryessa Rd was extremely treacherous today. Never in the 20 years that I've been riding that road have I seen that much traffic or that many hunters. After leaving the accident scene, we must have passed 5 other speeding yahoos in their p/u trucks going the opposite direction and taking up most of the narrow road.

My thoughts go out to Chris and hope that he's receiving proper care and that he heals up quickly and completely.

Might be time to find another spot until things die down a little. That trek is fun and all, but additional traffic takes a fair amount of fun out of it.

Heal up Chris. Getting in a mash up with a car, head on, isn't something most dudes get to talk about after. Big :thumbup
 
Well that was fun! Not exactly newb friendly, but thank you Aaron and Joe and Bruno for watching out for us and holding back to make sure we were safe! I need a lot of serious local seat time before making the trek out there again. Was wonderful meeting some more BARFers face to face!
I don't know Chris, but if there he needs help, visits, blackmood lifting, there is a Heal up thread and I'm down for a group meet if anyone knows him and wants to organize it.
Cheers!


Here is the Uber thread
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
 
Last edited:
I didn't make the ride because my bike wasn't well prepped and I was not well rested.

I'm bummed to hear someone got crunched by a car. :( I'm down for food delivery once he's home - that's what I did Saturday might that kept me out a bit late.

Heal up rider!
 
Good morning, all. First, it was great to see some familiar faces, as well as some new ones.
Bruno, thanks for the post-ride beer. You, sir, are an animal. :thumbup
Paul, it was great seeing you again. Sounds like you did a heck of a job taking charge during the aftermath of the incident with the hunter.
Tim, I'm sorry I didn't get to see you. A few of us trucked into Lower Camp and met the group of small bikes as they rode into the OHV. We'll get together soon, I'm sure.
Sal - Great job. You're doing the right things; weight on pegs, absorbing bumps with your legs, etc. Keep at it and you'll be smoking my lazy, non-standing butt pretty soon.
Rebekah - Good job, as well. There were some tough sections yesterday, and you cruised right through the vast majority of them. Thanks also for the good conversation on the ride up and back, as well as the burger and gas money. :thumbup
Joe - Always great to see you, sir. You were pretty damned quick, especially considering you were on a bike with worn out street tires. :wtf

I will Echo Sal, cootz, and others in saying that I would be more than glad to pitch in to help Chris get back on his feet. If someone who knows him wants to coordinate the effort, that would probably be best.

I'll try to get some pics up later today. I didn't take too many, though.
 
Good times but yeah, Reiff Rd was no joke! Big thanks to Aaron for the hitch and for dealing with my chitter-chatter. I don't usually talk so much, I promise! :D Most lovely riding with you Sallie - you did great!
 

Attachments

  • 998573_10201283435040078_774246024_n.jpg
    998573_10201283435040078_774246024_n.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 539682_10201283436480114_263936568_n.jpg
    539682_10201283436480114_263936568_n.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1003048_10201283436520115_399286996_n.jpg
    1003048_10201283436520115_399286996_n.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 1003221_10201283435080079_1774572389_n.jpg
    1003221_10201283435080079_1774572389_n.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 1148998_10201283435160081_792626754_n.jpg
    1148998_10201283435160081_792626754_n.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 55
  • 1150797_10201283436440113_158479123_n.jpg
    1150797_10201283436440113_158479123_n.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 1173854_10201283436560116_862022469_n.jpg
    1173854_10201283436560116_862022469_n.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 66
Good ride Chris, Tim, and Jeff. Its a really cool experience cruising down a trail on a comfortable 550lbs bike with like machines. Tim, I`m gonna look into the Reno 200. It sounds like a good ride from what you described. Hopefully my wife will be cool with me going because we are expecting number 2 October 10.

Chris I hope you weren`t hurt to bad. It was definately an unfortunate incident that truly could have been worse. I wish you a speedy recovery and also if you want a guy to turn some wrenches with to get that bike back on the road let me know, I would be glad to help.
 
Back
Top